Steam cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesoda025

Hatchling Member
I want to get one of those portable handheld steam cleaners to clean my beardie's viv because I hate using chemicals.. It's hard to rinse them out of such a big tank, especially since the tank stays in one place. My beardie has pinworms and coccidia; actually, I'm done treating her for pinworms, and am treating for coccidia right now, and haven't had a good way of sanitizing the tank daily..
Anyways, are those portable Shark steam cleaners strong enough to kill coccidia? How many degrees does the steam have to be to kill it, does anyone know? Also, my bf is worried about the steam breaking the glass. Has anyone actually had that happen with a steam cleaner? I don't think those portable ones would be hot enough to do that, but at the same time, I really don't want to risk any chances with that -- it was really hard (and expensive) to find a 40 gallon breeder here!

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
I use a steam cleaner to clean all of my tanks. They won't break the glass or I should say mine hasn't. That is all I use to clean them. Occasionally, I will use Nolvason every once in while but will then steam afterwards.

bluesoda025

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, so I've gotten a steam cleaner off of craigslist and the only thing I'm not sure about is how hot the steam in this thing actually gets. I mean, there isn't really any way of telling.. I don't intend on spraying myself with the steam directly to find out. :p And when you touch the areas where the steam has been, it only feels lukewarm, not hot but perhaps that's because the steam cools so quickly? I really don't know much about steam cleaners... Can I just assume it's really hot enough right when it's spraying the steam out and killing stuff (since it is steam afterall)? -_-"

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Just remember steam does not kill everything! While you steam the glass put your fingers and touch it and see how hot it gets. Just be careful. Good luck.

bluesoda025

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The most important thing here is that it kills coccidia. At what temperature does coccidia die off, if anyone knows? Hopefully, they aren't THAT resilient that even steam can't kill them. : (

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
bluesoda025":a7cac said:
The most important thing here is that it kills coccidia. At what temperature does coccidia die off, if anyone knows? Hopefully, they aren't THAT resilient that even steam can't kill them. : (

A long time ago my vet recommended that I get a steam cleaner to clean Semi's tank. He said that if it makes steam, it will kill parasites. It has to work because my three dragons don't have reoccuring parasite issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom