Small Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday bob got a oral dose of Panacur for Pinworms. The past couple days he hasn't been eating veggies; but he can't get enough of his feeders. Is this normal feeding behavior for a bearded undergoing Pinworm treatment?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What was the dose for the Panacur for him?
That is relatively normal for them when they are getting a medication, to have a lapse in appetite or to prefer one thing over another. Continue to try to get him to eat greens & veggies by offering them daily as you have been doing. He should eventually start eating them when he gets to feeling better.
Are you giving extra oral fluids right now?

Tracie

Bobdabearded

Original Poster
It was a relatively small dose, She told me and I have forgotten it was .132ml or something like that. Yesterday he cleaned his bowl of all greens and veggies so its looking hopeful. He's getting a bath every other day to help with the hydration during his recoop. I was thinking about picking up some reptaid to make sure he is getting proper hydration but so far bathing him is working just fine.

Bobdabearded

Original Poster
We'll now im a lil concerded with his fat/body weight ratio... i know it hasn't been very long since the origianl panacur was administered but Im now trying to give him Repta-aid to supplement his additional food intake to help with his hydration/weight gain and it doesn't look good. He doesn't want anything to do with the syringe and Im too scared to force feed him because I don't know exactly where his esophagal opening is.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry I forgot to recheck your thread.
How is your boy doing?
I wouldn't worry about getting oral fluid into him too far back into his mouth. If he will willingly take drops from a plastic dropper then you can do that. The glottis is located at the base (back) of the tongue so if you do try to syringe food & fluids just squirt to the side & not straight back. You should miss the glottis that way.
How did the Reptaid work for you? Did he seem to like it?

Tracie

Bobdabearded

Original Poster
We're doing well now. Im just at a tough point for the both of us affording feeders. Im still waiting to start my new job and we're down to about two days left of mealworms before im out. Im going to switch him over to superworms as soon as I get my first paycheck and thats not going to be for two weeks.

I think reptaid saved his life honestly. He wasnt eating or active really at all until I started dosing him with it. Now he eats like a champ and basks/runs around his cage normally. The only thing that I don't understand is that hes hit a plateau with his weight. He's stuck right around 280g... I was hoping hed be well over 300 but its been a slow process the last few weeks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is so good to hear that he is doing much better now!
Well, when they get slown down it takes them a little while to "catch back up" after being ill. I think that he will start to put some weight on pretty soon. The superworms should help to fill him out also.
Do you feed roaches or crickets right now? What else does he get to eat?
Good that the Reptaid seemed to really help him out. Is he basking normally now? It sounds like he is running around like a mad man now! :blob5: So, he obviously is feeling better. Let me know if you need anything.

Tracie

Bobdabearded

Original Poster
Drache613":b080c said:
Do you feed roaches or crickets right now? What else does he get to eat?
Good that the Reptaid seemed to really help him out. Is he basking normally now? It sounds like he is running around like a mad man now! :blob5: So, he obviously is feeling better. Let me know if you need anything.

Tracie

He was eating mealworms and a mixed salad... I just got him back on supers. He's basking for about 2-3 hours a day now.. not in one sitting but I'll catch him up on his basking spot here and there.

I think we're good. His appetite has slowed way down but I think its due to a semi-brumation state. I plan on gettin a fecal done in the next week or so, just to make sure that the infestation has been taken care of.. If not i'll get it nipped in the butt the hard way with some more Panacur. As much as I hate it, it seems to really pack a punch on those pinworms.

Thanks Tracie

-Chad

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Chad,

So he is eating just a few superworms now, with his salad? That is great he is at least basking for a few hours a day right now. That is a good idea to go ahead & get another fecal done soon, just to check his levels. Hopefully they have gotten under control & he wont have to take anymore Panacur.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom