Beardie Eimeria and Pinworms 320g....bought treatment online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All...

So I have recently done fecal exams on both of my beardies both are 6 months old, 320 grams, live in separate tanks, all the lights, and properr temps....substrate is paper towels. I'm a parasitology major and I was able to diagnose wall to wall Eimeria in one of my females and low coccidia and pinworms in my other female. So....I've ordered a 5% Albon perscription from beautiful dragons and am giving 50mg/kg so .32 cc for 3 days on 3 days off 3 days on. For the pinworms I've gotten a 10% paste of Panacur and I'm giving 50mg/kg as well so again .32 cc of panacur once a week for my other female. I've also been giving female 1 a probiotic at night and raised the ambient night temps to around 80 degrees. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!! Head bobbs to all!!!!!!!!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, so the levels of coccidia were very high? The dosage of albon for a 5% concentration is correct, but the dosage for panacur needs to be .16 or rounded to .2ml. You forgot to add a zero for the 10% paste, so make sure & adjust that dosage. :D
How long do you plan on giving the albon? I recommend only a 7-10 day cycle, then, do another fecal after a week or so, to check the levels again.
Don't forget to continue using the probiotic for a couple of weeks following the medication round just to help with the appetite.

I think you have it under control. Keeping the tank around 80 at night will help keep the immune system boosted. Also, increase the oral fluids daily, to help keep the kidneys flushed out during medication rounds too. You could even add electrolytes as well such as pedialyte daily if you want to, or every other day.

Great that you are using paper towels, that helps keep everything cleaner. Take all wood items or porous items out & disinfect them & don't put any of it back in until after medication rounds. You can bake the wood items at 250 or so for around 30-40 minutes to make sure everything is killed that could be in the crevices of any wood or log items.

Tracie

dragonblizz

Original Poster
Hey Tracie!

Thank you so much for responding! :blob5: I was planning on treating Griffon with Albon for 3 days on, 3 day off, 3 days on....would you recommend this? or just 7-10 days treating everyday?

How much fluid should I be giving her? I've been feeding her a mixture of Jumpstart mixed with petialyte and baby food along with the Acidophilus + around 6 hours after I dose her with Albon. Have any other suggestions?

Emily

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Emily!

So sorry for not checking back, I don't always check on this forum~!
I am sure that you have already began treating. What did you decide on the treatment? I normally recommend a straight 7-10 day regime.
I would give 2-4ml's of oral fluids, daily, along with the babyfood daily too. How is she doing, is her appetite holding up?
Using the acidophiliz 4-6 hours after medication is perfectly fine, that gives the Albon plenty of time to have absorbed into the system to become effective.
I promise I will check this thread daily, I am sorry for not getting back more quickly. :oops:

Tracie

dragonblizz

Original Poster
Well Griffon seems to be doing better but she still isn't eating all of her greens. I decided to use your advice and go with the 8 day Albon treatment. She has started to shed again but she still seems to be a bit dehydrated even though I give her baby food and Pedialyte.

My other bearded dragon that I gave Panacur isnt doing well. She looks like she feels horrible. She isn't moving around and just lays at the bottom of her cage. I only gave her one treatment so I guess we will see how she does. I think the coccidia in her system is probably making her feel horrible now that I've stressed her out by treating the pinworms....any advice?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would give extra oral fluids right now, on top of the babyfood & pedialyte. She just needs a bit more being on the meds. Did you include probiotics along with the Albon as well? If so, which type did you use? I would continue the use of a probiotic for at least 2 weeks following the medication round. An 8 day cycle is fine, no problem.

So your other dragon is not feeling well? What was the dose of the Panacur you gave? You only gave him one dose, right? Did you give any probiotics as well? I would be giving extra oral fluids with that also. Are you including babyfood feedings for him too?

I would try to keep the tank a little warmer at night, around 75-80 just to help their immune system right now.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom