green/yellowish patch under skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuckmoto

Hi, just joined and have only have my first BD's(2) for about a month.
We noticed the other day, a discoloration on the neck area of one which seems to be were it didn't shed all the way.
This morning I noticed a couple of other spots on it's belly. Looks like the same thing. I assume it's a fungus infection.
The dragon is acting normally and eats very well(crickets/veggies). I'll try to post some pictures soon....
Any one seen this before? I read through several post about yellow fungus. I don't want to freak out and take him to the vet if it's
something I can care for myself.

Age= both should be around 8-10 weeks.
Length= about 8"
Substrate= was sand but I change to paper towels today
Temps= 105 basking/75 cool 70 @ night
Food= crickets with rep cal/herpavite sometimes mealworms(I know throwing them out) & waxworms
romaine with dragon dust vmf

some pics....
IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

IMG_6263.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, I hope that is not a fungal issue. How old is he?
Have you bathed him & tried gently scrubbing those areas with a soft bristled toothbrush? If not, try that to see if that helps any at all.
Has he been on any medications recently?

Tracie

stuckmoto

Original Poster
I'm off a little on the age. We got them about 6 weeks ago and I think they were 6-8 weeks old.
I gave them they're first bath yesterday(I just found out about bathing them).
I haven't given them any meds yet...minus suppliments.
I saw pictures of the toothbrush scrubbing. Thought I might give it a try.
The gentleman I purchased them from gave me a few tips and how he cares for Beardies,
but since I started researching the last couple of days I've had a real eye opener.
One quick question...how often can you bath them?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
You can bathe them everyday! Most of us bathe every other day. When you bathe just make sure it is at least 20 minutes long. Also you can try to use tear free baby shampoo on those spots with the baby tooth brush. Just my 2cents and good luck.. :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope that it is just food. How long have those patches been on him for? Can you think of any food that it might be possibly? If it is not food then it will most certainly be a fungal issue.
Did you notice any of the other dragons in the store having any problems? Or, did you not get him from a store?
Try the baths, & let us know how that goes. If it just does not come off, then we need to start treating for Yellow fungus, or just fungus in general immediately.
Good he has not been on any medications then. He does need calcium 5 days per week though, along with some vitamins 2 times per week.

Tracie

stuckmoto

Original Poster
@Tracie, It is definitely not food. I would say the spots have been there 4-5 days now.
I purchased them from a friend/co-worker that raises/sells them. He is a trusted seller.
I emailed him last night. I'm working back shift this week so it's hard to communicate with the real world. :\
From what I've been reading - A good defense against "yellow fungus" is =
Nolvasan spray/Lamisil/Acidophiliz+ My wife just so happened to have a tube of Monistat laying around.
I was thinking about starting with that till I can get a hold of the other meds.

I currently give them crickets 2x a day with 50/50 herptivite & calcium VIT.D3 every other day and
veggies 3x a day and are coated with Dragon Dust VMF every other day. Are these frequencies enough?

stuckmoto

Original Poster
I went to the local pet store today and discussed the issue with the owner. She had not heard of that sort of issue before, but said that the treatment seemed like a good start. They also didn't stock any meds that I could use.
So doing some more research...I found an interesting section on a care sheet @ reptilerooms. It was covering humidity issues. I am starting to think that this might be my issue. The spots started right after it's shed and I probably wasn't regulating it's humity like I should have been.
Quote from care sheet = "Bearded dragons do get most of the moisture they need from their foods, for cells, organs and overall health, but areas that are air exposed directly such as skin, scales and membranes like the ear and nose will suffer with problems when humidity is under 40% for prolonged period of time. At 40-55% you do not have fungus living or growing, under that you do have dried membranes and shed problems that create skin tags which are breeding grounds for fungi. Contrary to what some advice, you are creating the problems your trying to avoid by depriving them of water and humidity."
I started a treatment with monistat today...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, you can get some betadine & dilute that down until it looks like weak tea or lighter & bathe your dragon in that daily. Then, can use either witch hazel extract or tea tree oil (sparingly) as an astringent or cleaner. The monistat is fine, or you can also lamisil either one.
You will need to do those treatments 1-2 times daily & hopefully, it will clear up pretty soon. It depends on how far it has gone as to whether or not it has gone internally or not. He may need an oral antifungal medication, only time will tell with that.
It should clear up & he should shed it off.
You also might want to start using a probiotic to help balance out his body's normal flora bacteria.
The humidity levels in the tank should be from 30-50% ideally.

Let me know how things go!

Tracie

stuckmoto

Original Poster
Got up this afternoon and it had gone through another major shed...
The area on his neck has lightened a little bit, the areas under were not really visible.
So I gave him a 15 min. bath. The areas on his belly were now free of the green color.
They now look like they were slightly red like they were barely bleeding(no drops or stains on paper towels)
under his skin. I applied neosporin. I headed out this afternoon to pick up betadine & witch hazel extract.

It just seems like these are areas that are an incomplete shed and fungus has grown under it.
I'm also ordering the probiotic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Well, that is hopeful then, perhaps it has just been retained shed after all? That would be the BEST scenario, of course, over having yellow fungus, or a total outbreak of it anyway.
Sometimes with retained shed will cause an array of problems, so definitely try to get that retained shed off as soon as you can.
I will check this thread more often, sorry for the delay.

Tracie

stuckmoto

Original Poster
Your feedback has been very helpful. All the patches except for the one on his neck have shed off and are slowly healing.
The neck patch still has not peeled off but isn't as colorful as before. I scrub it every day during bath time and with witch hazel afterwards with
a soft toothbrush. I don't want to dig into it. The monistat seems to be keeping the fungus at bay. Hoping that the next shed will push it off.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope I have helped you out some. How are things going today?
That is very encouraging that the skin patches are healing & getting back to normal. The neck area should get back to normal pretty soon hopefully after all of the shedding is completed.
I recommend continuing with the fungal treatments for awhile yet, as fungus is very hard to get rid of. The betadine baths & witch hazel or tea tree oil are all good to help keep the areas clean & free of bacteria.

Tracie

stuckmoto

Original Poster
Took several but this one shows color and texture pretty good. Like I said all the tabs have come off except the neck area, which I'm still working on.
* found out the other day talking to the breeder that this one has German Giant in him!
IMG_6339.jpg

Age is approx. 5 months
IMG_6340.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom