Just a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
You know, that makes me think the breeder knows that something is not right with his breeders and clutches! A good breeder would want to know if he has a major problem in his lines, that way, he could test his breeders and weed out any potential problems (not breed any animal that could be passing on a virus). I would bet that more of the clutch mates have been ill/died from something similar. That sucks.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
If he didn't before, he certainly knows now, after your friend contacted him! I think the guy doesn't want to have to accept any responsibility for have a "bad" line. Owning up to it would mean spending money for the vet to figure out which breeder animal might be the carrier, then taking the step to no longer breed that one and any other possible carriers, then the expense of replacing the breeder(s) animal. That would be the ethical thing to do anyway. I think it's rotten that they guy seems to have no concern whatsoever. The guy doesn't have to be like that, he could try to help track it. And, there is a slight chance that the cancer could have environmental causes. All humans carry cancer cells, but,not all get cancer. And, there are many things that can trigger the growth of cancer cells: environmental, chemical, gentics (which pre-dispose one to the virus), or a combination. I think with animals, it is very much the same way. The genetics of your friends girl most likely pre-disposed her to it. The sad thing is, that there are too many breeders out there, who realize that there are genetic defects in their lines, or illness (either in their breeders or in their clutches) and they continue to breed and pass these things on to future generations, which further weakens an already weak genetic pool here in the US. To those un-ethical breeders I would say "Shame on you!" And, if any of them are members of the forum and offended-too bad. :angry5: The breeder that your friend got his girl from should be ashamed of himself for not being willing to at least give your friend whatever info he has and for not being willing to take steps on his own to prevent further generations being born with such viruses. (sorry, that turned out to be a little bit of a rant!)

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Sandy, their are a lot of them out there! That is ONE of the reasons us breeders get ticked off a lot of times! :angry5:

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
The good things is that for every rotten breeder out there, there are 2 or 3 guys like you and a few other breeders we both know, who make all the difference! We can hope that this guy comes around and does the right thing, if not, then hopefully he'll be out of business soon!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Lance,

Sorry to hear how things have turned out! You know my stance on things, I have lost so much respect for a number of breeders because they are unethical. It is sad, most of all, for the dragons, they always lose in the end. :cry:

Tracie

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Tracie
I agree with you! It's the dragon that suffers. From personal experience, I know how bad this can be. As horrible as it is for us to lose one, I hate the thought of watching one of these amazing creatures suffer due to defects, illness and disease that is caused by the practices of an un-ethical breeder. I really have a strong opinion about these people, and it really infuriates me when a dragon (or any animal) suffers because of a breeder who doesn't care if he's breeding dragons with these defects, illnesses and diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom