Coccidia help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
Ok, first thing is my Abe has coccidia, of course. The vet prescribed a trisulfa medication, not sure the exact name and it isn't on the bottle. It's obviously a mixture of some kind because you have to shake it or it will separate. It's also cherry flavored, if that helps. I gave this to Abe every day for a week, no luck. Gave her a few days off then tried again for another week. No luck. That was a few weeks ago when I stopped. She still has coccidia, does anyone know what medication I can give her that will actually work? Also the dosing schedule would be helpful. Thanks a lot :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you know the dosage you gave Abe? He should have been properly dosed with the Trimeth sulfa drug. Usually, that is a very effective drug against coccidia. It is normal for them to have a low count, but every dragon is different as to how they handle individual counts.
There is another drug called Ponazuril which is an anticoccidial drug & highly effective. It is normally given in a one time administed dosage of 20mg/kg, & it knocks the levels down.
Is he eating very well right now? Did you give a probiotic along with the medication?
You can safely give a round for 7-14, or UP TO 21 days, but a 2 week break should be given after a 21 day cycle though, in conjunction with probiotics to normalize the gut flora for him.

Tracie

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His dosage was .04 cc once a day. I gave him non dairy soy yogurt. Also, his counts are/were extremely high. the vet said it was wall to wall coccidia and you couldn't see anything else. He is eating ok but when he uses the bathroom it is still awful.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates on your dragon for me? How is he doing & how is his appetite?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom