Pinworms and Sanitizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
My beardie was diagnosed with pinworms over the weekend. I am picking up some Panacur this afternoon. How do I go about sanitizing her enclosure so as not to keep spreading the parasites? I've been using Healthy Habitat spray for daily cleaning but I'm not sure if this is strong enough to kill pinworms and other parasites. Also, she has her favorite basking log which is one of those xxl half logs they sell in the petstore. Is there anyway to save this? This is my first beardie and first parasite infection so I'm a little nervous about making sure I do the right thing. One more question, can my dogs and myself get the pinworms from her? Thanks so much!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Knocking those pinworms out should not be a problem.
You can use the healthy habitat still, no problem. There is a product called Novalsan which really helps with sanitizing the tank but doesn't have toxic fumes like bleach does. Or you can use a little steamer on the tank which will most definitely kill anything. Some people will use very hot water but you have to be very careful not to crack your tank if it is glass~!
You can save your half log. It is wood, correct? I would take it out right now, while she is on treatment. You can soak it in hot water, & then bake it in the oven for around 45 minutes at 250 degrees or so & that will kill anything settled into the wood. Use cardboard in the tank for easy cleaning & paper towels since they can be thrown out.
Is she just on the Panacur, or did they prescribe Albon also? Do you know the counts from the fecal?

Tracie

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They put her on Panacur. She got one dose yesterday and will get another dose in 2 weeks. She's on tile right now but I'm able to take them out and clean them. I'll try baking the log. She's still acting pretty well. I've read about dragons who won't eat when they get parasites but she still has a really good appetite. She ate her morning salad with greens, squash and blueberries. Then 10 crickets and some more greens and squash. Hopefully she keeps her appetite up. Should I try some probiotics too just to be safe? Thanks so much!

Erin

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Erin,

It sounds like your tank is fine, since you can take the tiles out for cleaning. As long as the panacur was dosed properly she shouldn't have any problems on it. Yes, I would go ahead & give probiotics for her, just to ensure she doesn't have any problems.
Great she still has a good appetite right now, that is awesome!
Let me know how she is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom