SKIN/SCALE ROT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinnbean

I've owned my beardie for 3+ years ( Zinnia), she is housed with another female and they get along well. 4 days ago I noticed a small area beside her eye that literally looks like her skin has rotted away in a small circular area. I know crickets can eat away at our reptiles if kept in with them too long and Zinnia never left unattended or left in with crickets for over 10 mins. She hates having it touched. She has just gone through a shed and has the opposite side of her head to shed off.

I am unable to soak he because she was just recently spayed because she was laying infertile clutches of eggs far too often.

Could they get skin mites? Any advice?

Basking area - 100 - 115 Degrees
Cool side - 65 - 70
UVA/UVB bulb 12 inches away from basking rock
Heatlamp kep on overnight
Full cleaning w/ warm water & vinegar every week
Papertowel substrate changed when needed (every 3 - 5 days)

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Yes they can get mites, though those are usually tiny little red spots.

Is it possible you had a crix hide from you when you were removing them ?
That does sound suspiciously like a crix bite. So what I would do is use a drop or two of betadine iodine on a dampened cotton ball and dab gently. Then apply some triple antibiotic gel/cream lightly. Make sure that it is mostly wiped off before placing her back into the viv.

Also, has the other female shown any signs of dominance towards this one ? It is possible that the other bit the first, and it is now getting infected.

How long have you noticed this ? Did this happen before or after the surgery ?
Janie.

Zinnbean

Original Poster
Hey!

Thanks for the reply

I just noticed about 5 days ago. So it occured after her surgery

Zinnia (the one w/ the 'scale rot') is the dominent female.
And i've seen the result of a beardie bite on my other female. They rarely 'argue'
You know I was leaning towards it being a cricket bite. It has not grown in size since I have first noticed it.
Although it is not getting smaller.

I have yet to try the betadine solution.

Thanks your for advice! And i'll update here soon

I heard unpasteurized raw honey from the health foods store in your area applied works awesome as it has antimocrobial/antibacterial properties. might try that. i would however get it taken care of so it doesnt get worse??? just my opinion, kristy

Hi there, my beardie Pan had exactly the same sort of thing you were describing on her back and a very good chap at the rep store said it looked like a crix bite as they are buggers for doing this. Hers is like a browny/black crusty hole/indentation. We were advised to apply oidine to this where you can get from chemists or rep shops. As they are cold blooded, it takes an age to go and gradually goes away with shedding.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom