Coccidia again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menolly

Juvie Member
So for the last couple times I have been to this vet it has been this nice old man. Well today when I went to get a a check up because it's been 6 months, I was seen by a woman instead. Now I was a little peeved at having a different vet, but she then preceded to grab him. She was feeling his intestines I think and my poor baby was squirming like all hell. His beard was black and his chest even got mostly black and you know what she did, she freaking pinned him by his arms. I mean it was just awful. My poor baby got her good though, he made her bleed. He was trying so hard to get away from her. I was like what the hell are you doing, she was like oh he's fine...I was like obviously he is not, and then she preceded to do the same thing, again he squirmed like hell. I was like umm you know what that's enough. Ugh...It's just the way she had him pinned it just wasn't right. The last time, the man I had put him on his shoulder and stroked him till he calmed down. When I told her he might be brumating, she didn't know what that was. I'm pretty sure she went to check some books because she preceded to tell me that the book says that when you have the correct lighting he will be just fine. Strike three...really...strike three.

Since I have lost all faith in whatever they tell me now pretty much, I was wondering what someone would think is a good dosage for +3 coccidia and he weighs 14 ounces which equals out to around 395 grams. He's eating like a horse but he's not really touching his veggies. He just discovered super worms. Personally I think he just enjoys the extreme amount of crunching he does before swallowing a worm. He's been running around like a mad man and jumping like a dragon on steroids. But he has been going to bed about an hour to two hours early.
Another odd thing she said was that it was weird that he was shedding in spots. At the moment he is shedding on the half of his two back legs, his tail, his front leg, and his beard along with his spikes on the side and back of his head. That isn't weird is it?
Right now I'm mad as hell it took about a good 15 minutes to calm him down afterwards. ARGH! Okay I feel a little better now. He's giving me the look of oohhh now you have to make it up to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee look.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I'm sorry your dealing with this issue. If you go to Beautiful Dragons.com, they have diff meds u can order directly from them (Albon & Panacur) & they even have a chart that shows u what dosage or amount u will need depending on the weight of your beardie. I am fairly new to this site & have not figured out how to post links yet so that's why I am telling u where to go instead of making it easy & providing the direct link! lol! Hope this helps a bit:)

~Sandy

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
both of my beardies shed their legs and their heads first. then a few weeks later their backs and their tails shed!

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
Menolly
Wow, reading your post was really troubling.
I think if I were you, I would have just told that lady to forget the check up and the whole visit, pick up my poor dragon and leave. And find another vet. Or tell her boss that you only want to be seen by him and not this new girl who doesn't know how to handle a bearded dragon. Just that kind of stress can kill some reptiles or shock their immune system so they really will be sick.
But enough ranting.
There is a much better product for treating coccidia. It is called Reptaid and it does not require a vet's prescription. It is a new all natural herbal product for reptile health situations. There is a very extensive post in the For Sale section of this forum where you can read about it. Literally hundreds of dragon owners from this forum have used it for many many ailments. You can read more about it at http://www.reptaid.com There are a lot of testimonials on that site also.
Your dragon will thank you for getting him Reptaid!

Kelcifer

Hatchling Member
I bought reptaid for kansas because after reading some of the topics on this board and bringing him to my vet I knew he had a parisite. After a week on reptaid he was clear. This stuff is worth the money and it wouldnt hurt to try it.

HUMBOLDTGUY

IS REPTAID SOMETHING I COULD GIVE OSKER IF I SUSPECT SOMETHING MAY BE WRONG OR DOES HE NEED TO BE DIAGNOSED 1ST?? HES A BIT SLUGGISH WONT POOP UNLESS HES IN THE BATH, AND HIS POO LOOKS DIFFERENT THAN IT USED TO

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
The thread on Reptaid in on this forum under "forsale|" section.
Yes, you can certainly use it without a diagnosis because it is just an herbal treatment which can be used to solve a parasite or infection issue, or just to boost the immune system and appetite.

HUMBOLDTGUY

our beardie got diagnosed with pin and hookworms last week and has to take 3 more doses of her medication(one per week) should we wait to give her reptaid until shes done with her medicine??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No, you can begin giving the reptaid now, while she is on her medication to help with her appetite.
Be sure to give extra oral fluids as well, during her medication rounds so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Tracie

HUMBOLDTGUY

how should i give her the fluids??? do i need to use the syringe i use to wash down her medicine.....she really hates having her mouth pried open....i cant wait till the medicine thing is over....she gets frikin pissed when i give it to her....i dont want her to start to equate me with having stuff rammed down her throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom