mites and...the lice cure? o.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 2 beardies recently got mites i have put them in water 3 times a day and used my shower head and a tooth brush to try and remove them but after 4 days of this and still finding mites i decided to buy something i went to 4 pet stores and called tons of diffrent ones in other cities near me and i dunno but no one has "mite away" or any other mite treatment for reptiles i was told by many snake owners to use "Nix" a product used to get rid of lice in hair a local pet store said thay also use it every two weeks in a spray bottle on there snakes to prevent infestations has anyone used this product or know if its gonna kill my beardie? i got it today but i havent used it yet....the side has a warning and says if gets in eyes or in mouth call ur local poison control center rofl

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Getting rid of mites is not that hard. First before anything, you need to clean out his entire tank thoroughly including all wood items, etc. Soak any wood items in hot water & bake them at 250 for around 45 minutes to kill anything that is nestled in the wood crevices.
If you have loose substrate, please take that out & replace it with paper towels.
Then, bathe your dragon in a diluted betadine solution, using a soft toothbrush to gently remove the mites. Usually once they are immersed into water, they normally run to the head to avoid drowning so that is when you can get them.
Good luck.

Tracie

imnotabeardie

Original Poster
sadly it has been done twice already but my bearide is mite free and is eating more and seems to be ok...but if this ever happens again i wont use Nix! i need to get betadne anyways cus..... the poor little thing right after got yellow fungus >.>

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What do you mean he has yellow fungus now, caused by the Nix? I have never heard of that. Can you post a picture of that?
Sorry to hear that. You should not have used the Nix but just the betadine bath instead. You will also need to get some witch hazel astringent to use as well, & also some lamisil too.

Tracie

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Hi, Tracie, im wondering about where u get the things u suggested for treating mites. such as diluted betadine solution, and the other things you should use. Do you get them from a petstore or from a vet?

Seven65

Juvie Member
I'm no expert by any streach of the imagination, but if you can't put it in your mouth I doubt you should put it on your dragon.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Kevin
I believe you get the betadine at your local drugstore and then you dilute it yourself with the ratios tracie gives you. Hope that helps some.

tat

Just so no one gets confused...betadine does NOTHING to kill or remove mites...it is used to help the bitten areas where the mites have feasted. It also does nothing to destroy eggs, and if your animal has had mites for longer than a few minutes, there could easily be mite eggs on it. The mite eggs can also be all OVER your cage, which is why it is often a good idea to set up a temporary cage and get something like BlackKnight II or some other "safe" (yeah, I know..none of them are safe) pesticide and, after a thorough cleaning, spray the animals normal cage with it. Then wait a few weeks (yes weeks) before rinsing the original cage and reinstalling your pet. (Make sure at this time that your beastie is indeed free of mites before putting him back into his cleaned cage)
Mites are not to be taken lightly, as they can infact kill your pet. True, it takes a while, but death can, and has, ocured from mite infestation.
If anyone wants to try using NIX properly, (and the reason it is sometimes recommended by people is that it kills the mite eggs) you should dilute it in a gallon of distilled water, and apply THAT. No stronger.

mischa

Juvie Member
This is a great product to get rid of mites!http://www.reptilesupply.com/images/000116854603.jpg :lol:

rin0425

Hatchling Member
I have a reptile rescue and I was given a boa with snake mites and after doing TONS of research and calling every vet I know (im a vet tech...this took a loooong time!!) we concluded that if you dilute 1/2 bottle of nix into 1 gallon of water and mix thoroughly it shouldnt be harmful. It worked for my snake and my beardies. It is a pesticide, but the permethrens are generally safe at this VERY low dose. I used it 1 time only and literally sprayed down my ENTIRE reptile room from top to bottom including cages and logs and everything in between. I do want to say that it isnt tested on reptiles so there is no way to know if every herp is going to be safe, but from my own personal experience, everyone was safe. There are other products out there, but this one is the only one that kills all life stages of the mite instantly...including eggs.
So that being said, use at your own risk, but for people who have multiple vivs in close contact with eachother, it was the most effctive way for me to eliminate the problem...for 11 dollars :)
Good luck and im glad it worked for you too.
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom