Atadenovirus Diagnosis: Forced Feeding Quality of Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zasdarq

My bearded dragon Ariki received a positive test for the Atadenovirus. This was following a long sequence of her not eating, and being diagnosed with pneumonia. Both of those things are now believed to be additional complications to the virus. I've already reached out for some help on another forum post here before I had received the Atadenovirus diagnosis, which has more background information and a description of her cage/lighting/etc:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=258678

At the vet's advice, I'm continuing her on an antibiotic to help with the potential pneumonia or other underlying infections. I'm also going to start her on a liver supplement (for the ADV) and an oral calcium supplement (since she's not eating normally). She's also on an antacid to supposedly help with her appetite. I force feed Emeraid Omnivore currently, which was supposed to be until she regained her appetite. But her appetite is not returning in the 10 days since antibiotics / antacids began. The vet was surprised there's no change on that front, and no longer expects it to improve in the short term.

I'm aware that Bearded Dragons can survive long periods of time even with ADV, though their quality of life seems to vary drastically depending on how it effects them. But I worry that if she's not eating, this means months (years?) of forced feeding. She puts up with it reasonably well, I gently open her mouth with help from someone else, and squirt in the mixture. If a dog or a cat refuses to eat, it can represent a lot more internal suffering that you don't necessarily want to extend with long term forced feeding.

Other than the loss of appetite, she's generally pretty well. She spends time active in her cage every day and basks. She goes to bed earlier than she used to, and no longer uses her hide. So mostly from behavior she doesn't seem that sick. There was a time she was just hiding in one corner clung to the back wall, but the antibiotics seemed to make a difference for that.

Any thoughts or advice on ADV and forced feeding would be appreciated. Thank you again for those that have taken the time to respond in my previous thread.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Drache613 our vet tech mod is going to be able to help you -- I will flag this post

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you still using the Arcadia D3 12% & is it a T8 or a T5?
How often do you give the Emeraid supplementation/food to her?
If she is having trouble with her appetite, you can try starting her on a probiotic to try & get her
gut flora normalized. You can try non dairy acidophiliz or a non dairy organic soy yogurt plain or
flavored. Also, black strap molasses or bee pollen can greatly help with appetite boosting.
Are you keeping her a little warmer overnight also?
Antibiotics can really be helpful but in some cases they can do more harm than good.

Overall, how much weight has she lost, if any? Assisted feeding can be stressful for them so
do your best to minimize that. Are you dropping the food onto the end of her nose & feeding
her that way?

Tracie

Fourofpi

Hi, I have had a dragon for 4.5 years that stopped eating when he was 6 months old. The vets tried everything and finally just labeled him as lack to thrive. Since then I have been syringe feeding him. They get used to it quickly and will understand syringe is food and accept it willingly. It had not effected his quality of life. He does get resistant RI infections and has respiratory issues that require nebuluzation multi daily. He recently came up ADV positive and has coccidia that’s not clearing and green poop. Can I ask you what you are giving for liver support and dosage? I would like to get mine on it ASAP but my vet doesn’t subscribe to supplementation or things of that nature. I would greatly appreciate any information.
Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tracie would need to help on this one--- you can PM her -- look her name up on the board Drache613 and click on it her profile will come up and find PM on the left side of the page -- she can answer some of your questions on what to give and other advice- she is the vet tech mod on here and is doing research on ADV

Fourofpi

KarrieRee":q5lbc4ud said:
Tracie would need to help on this one--- you can PM her -- look her name up on the board Drache613 and click on it her profile will come up and find PM on the left side of the page -- she can answer some of your questions on what to give and other advice- she is the vet tech mod on here and is doing research on ADV
Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom