Oxyurid eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caine

My bearded dragon was recently found to have Oxyurid eggs in his feces, as well as salmonella. The vet mentioned a treatment including something up his bum?? I am naturally very worried about this and would like any guidance on what oxyurid eggs are. If suppository treatment is necessary and how he could have gotten this

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, many beardies carry low numbers of oxyurids [ aka pinworms ] with no ill effects at all. Did the vet say how high the count is ? And many reptiles carry salmonella all their lives, very common.

If your dragon is eating well it may need no treatment at all . Don't let the vet do the procedure, I've never once heard of a suppository type treatment on these forums or anywhere else. Oral Panacur is the most common + effective treatment for pinworms.

Is your dragon healthy + eating well ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I totally agree. I absolutely would not allow any type of suppository treatment of any kind.
Too many cases have shown them to be extremely hazardous & a lot of times, they end up
killing them from doing it improperly.
I would find out the counts of the eggs. Reptiles usually carry salmonella in small levels so
unless it is making your dragon ill, it really doesn't need to be treated. As far as the oxyurid
eggs, those are extremely common & most of the times don't need treatment. Usually, I
recommend anything 3+ or under, not needing any treatment at all. If the counts are high or
over 3-4+ then you can look at an oral Panacur treatment, either liquid or paste.
How is your dragon doing, does he eat well or is he losing weight at all?

Tracie

Caine

Original Poster
Hi! So, i previously had some issues with him dropping his appetite, but i found a way around it by placing him in a blank white container and dropping dubia roaches infront of him one by one, and he ate almost half the container of small roaches, the greedy guts! I also noticed during the drop of appetite that he was shedding. Naturally, i only noticed all this before i paid a small fortune for an emergency vet consultation which had them charging extra for the fecal screening which is what ended with this diagnosis. I believe they said low numbers of oxyurid eggs, but im not completely sure. My sister took the call while i was out, so the suppository thing might have been her mishearing it, but after I called they made no attempt to correct me on the suppository thing.

Especially with how expensive this new oxyurid treatment is going to be, and if it will not harm the dragon, is it a safe gamble not to have him treated? Especially because he is very young (Under 5 months.)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Most informed owners + breeders would not treat a dragon for low pinworm count. The meds. do more damage than the small amount of parasites which are natural in most beardies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry, that wasn't meant to come off that way at all ! :) I was just trying to make the case that owners + breeders often know more about beardie care than vets do, we often have to correct or detect things here that vets either misdiagnosed or have ordered treatment + meds. that are not helpful and even harmful.

If you could see how often this happens here you'd be shocked. We are looking out for people + their dragons and saving people money as well because people readily assume that the vet is the expert when in many cases they are not at all.

Caine

Original Poster
So, I called the vet! Apparently he has a moderate pinworm count raging at approximately 10 in his feces. Is it still safe to avoid treatment if he is alert + good appetite? If not, are there any natural, non toxic and effective treatments i can try at home over hazardous suppositories my vet is suggesting?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he's eating, thriving + of good weight I'd let it be. There are no real natural remedies, some people feed a certain herb but I don't remember if it's cilantro or basil or oregano in small amounts. Might be all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom