How does Coccidia get out of the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Hello,

As some of you know my girl Ziva has been diagnosed with Coccidia. I was just wondering how the Coccidia exits the body? Does the medicine kill the eggs? I know the Coccidia is in the bowel movements, but is that how she gets rid of it? basically poops out the dead eggs? I was just curious on the subject. Anyone know? :) Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Coccidia has a direct life cycle & normally the life cycle is done is about 1-2 weeks. So, once they are all or mostly killed or die, they will just be excreted out. As long as they don't continue to be reingested or reinfected then the numbers should stay low.
The medication will kill the adults & they wont be able to multiply anymore, as well as kills the eggs, too.
What was your dragon's coccidia levels?

Tracie

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Tracy. I appreciate it. Ziva levels of Coccidia on the whole slide was about 25+. I searched the whole slide not just one view.

Do the Coccidia look different under the microscope when they are dying/dead vs. while alive?

Thanks, Jen.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jen,

You are welcome. That is a pretty good amount of coccidia then. She is still on treatment now?
I have not viewed dead ones, but they should look degraded & dried out on a sample. When alive, you should clearly be able to see the embryonic lining & cell lining if eggs are forming.
I wish I could be more specific but I have not looked for dead spores before.
I hope that helps.

Tracie

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Well she was given 3 doses last week, and then it said to go off the doses and retreat the following week which would be this week, starting today.

I asked about the dead vs. alive coccidia because when i first did a fecal, i could tell they were alive and then when i looked at a new fecal sample they looked dried out and no sacs and were different in color, looked dead.

Should i dose again? or check the fecal and go from there?

Thanks so much. Jen.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jen,

Terrific, I am glad you could view the differences on the fecal. They do look dried up so the meds did what they needed to do.
I would check the fecal again & since there was a pretty good amount, you could re-treat for another 3 rounds if the meds did not tend to bother her much. That is just to make sure any re-hatching eggs are all gotten.

Let me know how things turn out for her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom