Is this tail rot? (pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zakhari's last shed was abnormal and his tail didn't shed. I think the shedding skin may have suffocated his tail at the end.

The end is hard and he doesn't respond when you touch it like he does with the rest of his tail.

117.jpg

112.jpg

110.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi, how old is your beardie? Our 4 1/2 yr old male had to have part of his tail amputated because the black was moving up his tail and it was infected. Do you have a good vet in your area? I would definitely make an appointment to make sure it's not an infection. Before you do that put some Polysporin cream on it to see if it will stop, just until you can see a vet. Hopefully you have a good reptile vet in your area. Let me know how that goes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is not tail rot. That is maybe retained shed, which will just cause the tip to shrivel up & fall off. Tail rot is normally caused by a bite that got infected. Retained shed most of the time does not cause any infection.
Is she getting ready to shed her tail right now?

Tracie

MusikalMadness

Original Poster
Drache613":792f8 said:
Hello,

That is not tail rot. That is maybe retained shed, which will just cause the tip to shrivel up & fall off. Tail rot is normally caused by a bite that got infected. Retained shed most of the time does not cause any infection.
Is she getting ready to shed her tail right now?

Tracie

Hello. He shed his tail earlier this week. The tail there is already necrotic. I went to the vet today and he said he was going to wait until 7-10 days had gone by to see if it spreads. He is going to get the dead tissue cut off on his next visit.

If I'm not mistaken, there is no way to save the end of his tail right now, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom