Mouth infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! First time poster here so bare with me if i do something wrong!
I've just gotten a rescue beardie a month ago, shes about 10 months old. I have her in a 36x18x18 tank by herself, replaced both the UVB light (Reptisun 10.0) and the basking light (75W zoo med basking lamp) with new bulbs, her tank is set up with paper substrate, she has her hammock under the lights with her hide and her log on the opposite side. The previous owners were feeding her Adult bearded dragon pellets along with mealworms, I have switched her to flukers juvenile buffet blend and she gets a feeding of live crickets daily aswell, with some calcium powder sprinkled on them before the feed. She eats great, has no problems hunting and catching the crickets. She gets bathed atleast once a week, sometimes twice if my other beardie gives me a hard time in the first bath (he hates bathtime with a passion!!)

My concern is with her mouth, it seems to be sagging down on the sides, sometimes cricket legs will get stuck in there and make it look all crusty, but at bath time i clean it out with the tip of a wet paper towel, usually a bit of what looks like dried up skin comes off the corner of her mouth aswell.
Is this something i need to worry about? Possible infection? Mouth rot? (even tho she's eating very well and doesnt seem to have any other issues with the inside of her mouth)

I have a vet appointment coming up, I'm just trying to see if there is a helper on here that i can get started on sooner than the appointment!

542B5756E7418BBFB8BC6CC92BE10D.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is a coil or tube? If its a coil please get rid of it ASAP-- I will wait for the answer then post what is recommended -- that is going to give me a answer about the mouth thing

SpikeNSkye

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1hvepowb said:
The UVB is a coil or tube? If its a coil please get rid of it ASAP-- I will wait for the answer then post what is recommended -- that is going to give me a answer about the mouth thing
It is a coil! im assuming thats bad? which should i be using?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please get a 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank--- the mouth issue could be the starting of mbd- caused by in correct uvb-- please get a Zoo Med or sunblaster or Arcadia w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb ASAP-- look on www.pangeareptiles.com under fixtures and then T 5 bulbs--- try there they are fast and ship FedEx- more issues will follow you want to stop the mbd from progressing any further-- when you get the new uvb-- or need more help.w/ this I will help you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is very pretty! As Karrie suggested, try to upgrade to a better UVB light, because those
compact/coil types of lights are not very strong. This might not have anything to do with a
calcium issue, but it will definitely help her health to have a stronger UVB light exposure.
When you clean out her mouth on that side, how long does it take to become crusty again?
If you have some raw, unpasteurized honey, try using a swab to dab it onto that area. It is
quite safe to ingest & tastes good so you shouldn't have a problem using it for her on her gum
line area.

Tracie

SpikeNSkye

Original Poster
Drache613":1bk6rsx8 said:
Hello,

She is very pretty! As Karrie suggested, try to upgrade to a better UVB light, because those
compact/coil types of lights are not very strong. This might not have anything to do with a
calcium issue, but it will definitely help her health to have a stronger UVB light exposure.
When you clean out her mouth on that side, how long does it take to become crusty again?
If you have some raw, unpasteurized honey, try using a swab to dab it onto that area. It is
quite safe to ingest & tastes good so you shouldn't have a problem using it for her on her gum
line area.

Tracie

Hi! New light has been bought & installed! it takes a little bit to get crusty, starts out the first time she eats, a little bit from her food seems to get stuck on the sides each time she eats. I'll go out and buy some raw unpasteurized honey and give it a go :)
Thanks for your help to the both of you who have given solutions.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What uvb did you get so I can help you place it correctly- the have certain distances and placement

SpikeNSkye

Original Poster
KarrieRee":24iiy9b9 said:
What uvb did you get so I can help you place it correctly- the have certain distances and placement
Reptisun T8 30" fixture, that holds 24" reptisun 10.0 T8 bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that needs to go inside the tank or make it so the screen is unobstructing the bulb distance 6-8 inches

SpikeNSkye

Original Poster
KarrieRee":9ykmls2w said:
Ok that needs to go inside the tank or make it so the screen is unobstructing the bulb distance 6-8 inches
Currently building a custom top for the tank so i can get it on her unobstructed as there isnt much room inside her tank to get it in with 6-8" between.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok please get it done as soon as you can - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays-- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen

SpikeNSkye

Original Poster
KarrieRee":37ttk1h7 said:
Ok please get it done as soon as you can - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays-- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen
will be done before the end of the day :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good you should notice a difference in her behavior and colors eating etc

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is the honey working out so far? I hope your dragon's mouth is improving. It takes a
bit of time for recovery but it should help quite a bit.
Does your dragon like her new UVB light?
I hope things are going well for her & that she is feeling much better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom