*HELP* My baby bearded dragon won’t bask!!

Kiwi123

Hi, I’m new to this forum and a fairly new bearded dragon owner and recently my beardie doesn’t seem to want to bask,he is 3 months old. I just recently purchased a new basking bulb and uvb he is still acting the same for example getting very close to the uvb and also his eyes look tired and small but he is still eating (large crickets) and he’s acting very weird. *PLEASE HELP*

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please tell me what your using for a basking bulb --- please NO coils for basking or UVB--- brand and bulb --- temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
basking bulb should like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202
what size tank is he in? and UVB should be this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html they are currently out of stock but you can find this on amazon.com you need a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 22" bulb
what ever your using for a basking bulb there is a issue if hes not basking and having issues w/ the eyes

Kiwi123

Original Poster
Hi! Thank you for the info, I’m currently using the zoo-med 10.0 reptisun uvb which is a 13 watt and the 100 watt repti basking spot lamp from zoo-med as well which were both recommended to me by a petsmart worker. The tank I’m currently using is a 20 gallon tank. Im starting to think it might be because Ive been feeding him large crickets and he’s only 3 months

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please do not feed anymore insects bigger than the space between the eyes length wise ---your going to have the dragon impacted ---then your really going to have issues-- and next get rid of the 13 watt UVB -- that is what is causing the eye issues -- those are terrible UVB's --- please get what I posted above ASAP -- find it on Amazon.com the places I go to are all out of that fixture but you need the one I posted -- the Zoo Med will come w/ a 5.0 bulb use that till you upgrade to a bigger tank then you will need to upgrade the bulb to a 10.0 T 5 ---- when you get the UVB place it width wise across the tank w/ your basking decor piece directly under it approx 6-8 inches ---- that coil your using causes all kinds of health issues --- please start feeding salads http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --- every morning --- get some BSFL from here order large they are small http://www.symtonbsf.com DO NOT DUST THEM - they are calcium enriched -- add them to the top of his salad then feed your staple feeder I recommend dubiaroaches you can get them from here go by their chart for size -- http://www.dubiaroaches.com use this discount code JULY42021-- the two MOST important things in that tank are the basking temps and that UVB -- and make sure you have a digital probe thermometer those things control the overall health and behavior of the dragon basking temps 105-110 for a baby
Make sure your dusting the main staple feeder w/ calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene once per feeding lightly coated --

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Bugs should be no more than medium and, the reason he's not basking is...... It's to hot!!!
I heat an entire 2x2x4 with a 50watt in summer and a 75watt in winter. You're basically slow roasting him. A 50watt should be all you need in that little tank.

PS. Never listen to a PetSmart employee about dragon care, they are clueless.

Kiwi123

Original Poster
The basking light is not exactly on the tank it’s hanging up because I figured it was a little to hot but the guy at pet smart said it was fine .

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Kiwi123":yfudssvm said:
The basking light is not exactly on the tank it’s hanging up because I figured it was a little to hot but the guy at pet smart said it was fine .
PetSmart employees have killed more dragons with bad advise than I want to think about!!!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I agree, ignore what the Petsmart people say. We had a similar, although indirect, experience with people from Petco. They are in the business of making money. They are not in the business of proper animal care. Every single thing that had been told/sold to the person we rescued our boy from was WRONG! With the help from the awesome people here on this forum, we now have a thriving happy dragon.

Kiwi123

Original Poster
I ordered everything she told me to but the only downfall is that it will take two weeks? What do I do in the mean time ??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take the dragon outside in a plastic tote NO GLASS -- place in direct sunlight / partial shade for 15 minutes --- the UVB rays will help him absorb the calcium your feeding -- DO NOT LEAVE HIM supervise him -- especially if its really hot where you are --- do this every day or every other day till the UVB comes --- when it comes in please post back on here and I will help you get it set up --- you can take him out several times a day if you wish --- in the meantime get your basking temps to 105-110 for a baby taken w/ the digital probe thermometer --- if you have more questions please ask ---

Kiwi123

Original Poster
So I bought him all new everything from petsmart and he’s still having the eye issue but whenever I take him out the tank his yes go back to being alert

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom