Scared my new beardie!!! feel rlly bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpLover17

Hey everyone!!! So I am not a new reptile owner, I have several leopard geckos, turtles, snakes, and then I also have frogs... but the other day I recently had the privilege to adopt an older bearded dragon who had been neglected in the past. He's in good health now and he is the sweetest guy. He had been handled a lot by his previous owner (I got him from a rescue) and he has the best personality. He is eating great, basking, sleeping, loves to be handled and pet
But today I had him on my shoulder cause I've had a really hard day and needed some company. He was fine, but I stepped outside and something freaked him out. I bent over in case he jumped off of me and he did, he didn't fall far but he still landed pretty solidly on the cement. He then put his tail up and ran. I went over to him and he puffed up, turned black, and hissed and was trying to bite. I scooped him up and he settled down, then I placed him in his enclosure. I gave him a few supers as an apology and he scarfed then down. But I feel so bad and I'm going to cry. I didn't mean to scare him or upset him. I'd never do that intentionally. How do I make sure he's okay?? Am I a bad owner for doing this??? I just feel so bad!! He's my baby and he is normally very good outside so what happened ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Something spooked him my guess a bird ---- I wouldnt take him outside for a while --- let him get used to his tank and surroundings --- make sure his beard is not going black w/ the fall -- keep an eye on him and let him get over being spooked ---

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yeah, that was a fear response. Even the most docile dragon will jump and run when scared, mine is ok with bird but planes freak him out.
Get a good, secure leash for any future outside trips and if you let him sit on your shoulder, always keep a hand on him when standing, even in the house.

Watch for lethargy, limping, swelling, not eating and a black beard. I suspect he should be ok but if he starts acting not himself, get to the vet soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom