Adult Beardie Pooped while Brumating

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3nelope

Good day! My adult beardie fell into brumation shortly after we received her. Her family had a baby and couldn't handle her as often, leading to their concern as she stopped eating and pooping and passing her onto us, avid reptile owners. The lack of handling led to her first brumation and she has been asleep for three months now.

I check up on her every two days to make sure she is well and still alive, as she was (and is) a very healthy beardie before falling asleep. We tried to wake her up unsuccessfully a month ago, but ultimately determined to allow her to follow her natural patterns.

I checked up on her today and she had taken a massive poo and still sleeping in it. I rinsed her off (still sleeping, jeez) and cleaned her poo, but I know she didn't eat much of anything before she fell asleep. I'm concerned because I wasn't aware she had anything in her before falling asleep and research said she shouldn't have had anything in her tum while sleeping, lest it lead to health issues. She also hasn't pooped her entire brumation. She isn't emaciated, she's responsive but very drowsy, and I've taken steps to wake her up by turning on her lights again so that I can look for additional signs to make sure she isn't unwell. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have not --- where are you located? It seems odd that she would be in brumation in the summer unless it is winter where you are --- and she should not be brumating for more than 3 months --- please go over the UVB your using and the basking temps--- and how are you taking them please---
NO stickons and NO coil UVB's please

P3nelope

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3pize2dd said:
I have not --- where are you located? It seems odd that she would be in brumation in the summer unless it is winter where you are --- and she should not be brumating for more than 3 months --- please go over the UVB your using and the basking temps--- and how are you taking them please---
NO stickons and NO coil UVB's please

All lighting Temps are excellent, we had a problem with them being too hot at first but they're much better. We turned off lights while she brumated. UVB is also strong, I can't remember the wattage but it's high.
We live in Arizona, and given that beardies are from Australia we were told it was normal that she was asleep now, since it's winrter there, and especially since her handling had decreased significantly while in her last home. We did a lot of online research after taking her in and that seems to be a factor that can kick start brumation according to most of the sites we checked.
Also, I got it wrong, she's been asleep since May, so only two months, but what could potentially cause her to sleep too long if that were to happen?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
There would be a underlying health issue-- that is why I am enquiring about the UVB being used and the basking temps -- if incorrect it can send them into a brumation type behavior and if your in AZ she should not be brumating --- it could be brumation but the lighting plays a big part in the behavior- lets go over the UVB and temps and go from there and I am going to have another person on here address this issue as well

P3nelope

Original Poster
KarrieRee":17niqpaj said:
There would be a underlying health issue-- that is why I am enquiring about the UVB being used and the basking temps -- if incorrect it can send them into a brumation type behavior and if your in AZ she should not be brumating --- it could be brumation but the lighting plays a big part in the behavior- lets go over the UVB and temps and go from there and I am going to have another person on here address this issue as well

Gotcha. We use two UVB coils (UVB 150 and 10). She only had the 10 at her last home. We had a professional inspect her and test her joints, no MBD or signs of physical ailments. She was very energetic when we first got her, pooped frequently and enjoyed being out and about, then slowly started getting tired. She frequently rejected basking, which is why we lowered the temps, and kept trying to hide/sleep. Her basking spot is 100° FH with a wide dome and close to the cage so that her basking spot is much hotter than the rest of her cage while still distributing heat to her cage.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coils --- they are NO good and inadequate --- please get one of these
Zoo Med 24" fixture or Sunblaster or Arcadia w/ a 12% bulb --- the Zoo Med you will need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -----
they are currently out of stock for the bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html this is a good fixture
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Zoo+Med+24%22+hood&qid=1625084381&sr=8-5 you will need to order the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this comes w/a 5.0 keep it for a back up distance and placement for this bulb is different from the 10.0
https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-Output-Fluorescent-Strip-2-Feet/dp/B00AKKULI6/ref=asc_df_B00AKKULI6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193142362025&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10960842292800611665&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020114&hvtargid=pla-311792259791&psc=1 you want the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb 22"
this is more than likely the cause for the dragon in brumation mode
make sure your basking temps are 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

P3nelope

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gxpugdm said:
Please get rid of the coils --- they are NO good and inadequate --- please get one of these
Zoo Med 24" fixture or Sunblaster or Arcadia w/ a 12% bulb --- the Zoo Med you will need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -----
they are currently out of stock for the bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html this is a good fixture
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Zoo+Med+24%22+hood&qid=1625084381&sr=8-5 you will need to order the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this comes w/a 5.0 keep it for a back up distance and placement for this bulb is different from the 10.0
https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-Output-Fluorescent-Strip-2-Feet/dp/B00AKKULI6/ref=asc_df_B00AKKULI6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193142362025&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10960842292800611665&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020114&hvtargid=pla-311792259791&psc=1 you want the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb 22"
this is more than likely the cause for the dragon in brumation mode
make sure your basking temps are 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

Will do. We had heard the coils were deficient before and that would be confirmation. What makes them so inferior?

Additionally, do you know if it's normal for beardies to poop during brumation?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not really sure about that one - w/ the pooping in brumation
Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun,
I am hoping AHBD can answer the question about pooping in brumation -- or Tracie our vet tech mod

P3nelope

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1jb2pdur said:
Not really sure about that one - w/ the pooping in brumation
Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun,
I am hoping AHBD can answer the question about pooping in brumation -- or Tracie our vet tech mod

I hope so as well. She's already showing signs of waking up. We will switch to a uvb bar as soon as possible to prevent further issues there. I really appreciate your help in pointing that out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let me know when you get the new UVB and I will help you get it placed for the tank - they have options of where they are placed plus the correct distance

P3nelope

Original Poster
KarrieRee":121fsqou said:
Let me know when you get the new UVB and I will help you get it placed for the tank - they have options of where they are placed plus the correct distance

Awesome. I was able to get on the phone with an exotic pet vet and she suggested the poop was normal. I'm still not sure about that length of sleep but I will take her to get a check up next week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
NO ENEMAS - they often end in disaster - take a poop sample w/ you-- make sure she's hydrated- has she eaten anything since she has been sleeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom