Dragon Poop Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamthehb

I have searched through this forum for a photo like this but have yet to find one so I thought i would ask here. Our beardie Harley is roughly almost a year old. He has always been healthy and active. He eats good greens (Mix of Collards, Endive, sometimes swiss chard, Buk Choy, Carrot tops etc thrown in) I used to give him fruit everyday then figured out not to do that, so he hasn't had fruit in about 2-3 weeks. He poops usually every second day. I have noticed in the last 2 weeks that his poop is very very runny, sometimes more like liquid. He is still very active, runs around every night, eats greens everyday and crickets, isn't lethargic at all. He basks most of the day and sometimes even plays with the dog from inside his enclosure. He has a basking bulb in a double dome right next to his 150UVB. I stopped giving him the fruit thinking it was causing the runny poop, but it's still happening. Reached out to the vet but the exotic one here cannot see us until August. :(

Does anyone have any ideas? I just changed his UVB bulb, thinking that perhaps it was too old as well.

Picture of the poop but sometimes is runnier (is that a word?) and still has urate in it.
111580-3266893220.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated (and no I cannot get tube lighting in his enclosure. He has been fine up to this point with what he has, so it has to be something else)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What UVB are you using ? The poop looks good -- but I agree lay off the fruit they only need it occasionally--- your UVB is it a tube or coil ? OK read the 150 in a dome -- please get rid of the coil --- you need a long tube fixture --- Arcadia Zoo Med or Sunblaster are good fixtures --- Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulbs --- please let me know what you get and I will help you place it in the tank --

iamthehb

Original Poster
I don't have a tank. I have a custom built enclosure. There really isn't a safe way to install a tube light in it as Harley likes to jump up the wall etc to get crickets. The coil Bulb is less than 8 inches from him and from research I have seen equals the same in a concentrated area when in a reflective dome, which is why we went this way. He spends 98 percent of his time in that area. He's never had poop problems before and has had the same set up for almost a year with no MBD or deformities.

Yeah I haven't given him fruit in 2 weeks now, as I wanted to see his poop improve, but was worried about parasites but he has no other symptoms except the poop.

He had another one today that was even more solid then this one, so I guess I will have to monitor and see if it stay that way and continues to improve.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What coil are you using? 13 watt or 26 and what brand? Issues w/ coils will or can not show issues for a year - if your using a 13 watt get rid of it for the Reptisun 26 watt - distance is good w/ 6-8 inches in a reflective done- change it out every 6 months- I do not recommend coils but if your gonna use it use the one I posted-

iamthehb

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2pjrrbcx said:
What coil are you using? 13 watt or 26 and what brand? Issues w/ coils will or can not show issues for a year - if your using a 13 watt get rid of it for the Reptisun 26 watt - distance is good w/ 6-8 inches in a reflective done- change it out every 6 months- I do not recommend coils but if your gonna use it use the one I posted-

Yep 36W 150UVB I believe is what it is. I really think maybe the old bulb I left too Ling before changing out maybe? I just changed it so will see if that helps. I have a schedule in my phone now to change it out wver 4 months to keep it fresh. I'm hoping that is all it is as he is very active and shows no other issues at all!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As long as your using the Reptisun brand and not a off brand you should be okay -- I am not a fan of coils too many health issues w/ most of them but so far I have not heard of any reports w/ this one --- just make sure your changing it out every 6 months I recommend a month prior to - and have it 6-8 inches directly above him --- his poop should be dark firm and moist and urate white firm and moist -- no dry chalky looking then he would be dehydrated -- too many foods w/ lots of water content are going to make for runny stools

iamthehb

Original Poster
Thanks! That why I was confused as I am only giving him greens and nothing else right now until I can get it firmed up. Was concerned though cause he's never been just liquid before, but otherwise he is acting normally and going every second day or so.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It could be the UVB or it could be basking temps --- make sure your getting them w/ a digital probe thermometer and it could also be parasites -- you could have the poop tested -- take a fecal in drop it off and go from there -- are you feeding crickets as a main staple feeder ? NO ENEMAS please!! those often in disaster --

iamthehb

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2kw9idms said:
It could be the UVB or it could be basking temps --- make sure your getting them w/ a digital probe thermometer and it could also be parasites -- you could have the poop tested -- take a fecal in drop it off and go from there -- are you feeding crickets as a main staple feeder ? NO ENEMAS please!! those often in disaster --

Yes, has digital meters on hot and cold side. Usually runs low 90s on hot side. May change out his basking bulb too though. He only get crickets, and treat worms every 2 weeks. (Meal worms in moderation, silkworms, horn worms etc? Worms feeding is normally 3-4 only)

Edited to add photo of his enclosure
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 26 watt coil MUST be unobstructed--- 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- he will not get enough UVB if its obstructed -- here is some info on the coil
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
I would get your basking temps up to 95-100
He needs a staple feeder every day for a under year old dragon --- when they get to be over a year it goes down to 2-3 times per week and if your only feeding every 2 weeks your dragon is not getting enough to eat --

iamthehb

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1cgpyabj said:
The 26 watt coil MUST be unobstructed--- 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- he will not get enough UVB if its obstructed -- here is some info on the coil
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
I would get your basking temps up to 95-100
He needs a staple feeder every day for a under year old dragon --- when they get to be over a year it goes down to 2-3 times per week and if your only feeding every 2 weeks your dragon is not getting enough to eat --

Thanks but I think you are mis-reading. He gets crickets daily, only treat worms every 1-2 weeks. He eats a ton everyday. And his coil light is not obstructed, as you can see in the photo. Thanks for that info etc though!! Helpful to know as we made sure to measure when we built the tank. I think I'm going to have to get him a hotter basking bulk for sure though!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok sounds good- keep an eye on the poop and see if it doesn't form up - if it does not I would look at getting a fecal done- but your basking temps and UVB play big role in the poop--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom