Beardie suddenly lost appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have a beardie named Talon that is about 16 months old. He has always been a great eater with both salads and bugs. About a month ago I started feeding him less bugs and more salads cause he was a little on the chubby side. About two weeks ago he started to barely touch his food. I switched to roaches, he ate them for several days very happily. But then he stopped. He hasn’t eaten his salad in two weeks (very unlike him!!! I ordered bearded dragons salad dressing to tempt him but to no avail). And he will hardly eat any bugs a day. He’s spending more time in his hide, too. Should I take him to the vet? Asking the question probably means the answer is yes. But it was all so very sudden.

(And cause someone will probably ask:
Basking temp is 102 degrees. Cool side is 75. He has a T5 uvb light in a reflector on top of his mesh tank.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The screen mesh is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type-- placement and distance is key here --- I am thinking hes not getting a enough UVB and that is the first thing that will stop is eating

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
It’s a wide hole and it’s about 7-8 inches away from his basking spot. I don’t know why it would change his appetite if it’s always been like that, and he recently started not eating. His uvb has been the same and nothing has changed. (Although I certainly can replace it, it’s been only 4 months though). Is it possible he got parasites from the roaches? I didn’t buy them from a shady company I just don’t understand the sudden change.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he basking like normal? I have never heard of dubias giving parasites but its possible- how are the poops? Runny smell so bad they want to make you leave the room? That would be one sign along w/ appetite decrease- you can take a fecal in to have it tested- -- please NO ENEMAS they often end up in disaster- so that parasites can be ruled out

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
He’s not basking as often. His poops smell normal, although he is pooping less often. I’ll probably take him to a vet just to make sure everything is okay. I also might switch back to crickets and see if he eats them better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try the crickets again --- please post pic of the tank and lighting so we can maybe see something we arent figuring out for cause --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom