Beardie suddenly lost appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have a beardie named Talon that is about 16 months old. He has always been a great eater with both salads and bugs. About a month ago I started feeding him less bugs and more salads cause he was a little on the chubby side. About two weeks ago he started to barely touch his food. I switched to roaches, he ate them for several days very happily. But then he stopped. He hasn’t eaten his salad in two weeks (very unlike him!!! I ordered bearded dragons salad dressing to tempt him but to no avail). And he will hardly eat any bugs a day. He’s spending more time in his hide, too. Should I take him to the vet? Asking the question probably means the answer is yes. But it was all so very sudden.

(And cause someone will probably ask:
Basking temp is 102 degrees. Cool side is 75. He has a T5 uvb light in a reflector on top of his mesh tank.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The screen mesh is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type-- placement and distance is key here --- I am thinking hes not getting a enough UVB and that is the first thing that will stop is eating

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
It’s a wide hole and it’s about 7-8 inches away from his basking spot. I don’t know why it would change his appetite if it’s always been like that, and he recently started not eating. His uvb has been the same and nothing has changed. (Although I certainly can replace it, it’s been only 4 months though). Is it possible he got parasites from the roaches? I didn’t buy them from a shady company I just don’t understand the sudden change.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he basking like normal? I have never heard of dubias giving parasites but its possible- how are the poops? Runny smell so bad they want to make you leave the room? That would be one sign along w/ appetite decrease- you can take a fecal in to have it tested- -- please NO ENEMAS they often end up in disaster- so that parasites can be ruled out

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
He’s not basking as often. His poops smell normal, although he is pooping less often. I’ll probably take him to a vet just to make sure everything is okay. I also might switch back to crickets and see if he eats them better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try the crickets again --- please post pic of the tank and lighting so we can maybe see something we arent figuring out for cause --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom