Very infrequent poops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrphuzz

So I'm not sure what is up. I've had my beardie (Noodles) for a few years now, and his poops are pretty infrequent, sometimes a few weeks between. This time, I feel like it's been close to a month. His behavior is normal, just not pooping often. His diet is mainly mustard greens (and their family), apples, and dubia. Doesn't seem stressed, we haven't moved, nothing out of the ordinary. Does anybody have any thoughts?

Edit: he was getting a bath as I was writing this, in a tub with running water, and when I went back to check on him, he had pooped. Not as much as I would expect, but he had pooped. But it was kind of weird. There was the long hard white portion. But also, parts of it were dry. When I pick up a part and crush it with my fingers, it would crumble. I guess it might make sense, since it's been so long, all the moisture has been sucked out of it... but still, why? I assume it's a diet issue, but I'm not sure how to change it for is benefit.

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Rinse the mustard green before serving -- he sounds like he was dehydrated- what kind of UVB are you using? A coil or a tube fixture --- what brand and where in the tank is it?

Mrphuzz

Original Poster
I'll do the rinse. I agree it sounds like he's dehydrated. Using a tube, ZooMed 10.0. I rest the light fixture on the top of the screen. 15gal tank, height is 10". Also, I've read that not all beardies drink from a dish. I've never seen mine drink from a dish, but I always have water there in case he is just shy and drinks when nobody's around.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the UVB your using is a T 5 or a T 8? Look on the tube it will tell you---certain bulbs have certain distances and placement ---- your dragon is a few years old ------------- please get him into a bigger tank ASAP---

Mrphuzz

Original Poster
Oh, sorry, forgot the T value. It's a T8. And yeah, it's been in the back of my brain to get a bigger terrarium for a while, but just hasn't been close enough to the front. I suppose it's time. Any guidance on placement for the T8 10 UVB? And... when I posted my question, I anticipated more of a diet-based response, but you seem to be more focused on the living conditions. Can you explain why? Is your train of thought directly addressing my question, or did it become "off topic" (which I'm completely fine with, as the information is still valuable, so no offense there!) and not really directed at the pooping issue?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temps and placement of UVB is extremely important w/ the eating and pooping -- they are all related and it all involves around the lighting -- that is why the questions --- T 5's have certain distance and placement as well as the T 8's --- your T 8 needs to go inside the tank w/ no clear plastic cover over the bulb distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- so w/ your 15 gallon tank I recommend upgrading the tank ASAP--- 75-120 gallon tank -- please place the T 8 top of the tank unobstructed w/ the distance of what I posted -- sorry reread the post and realized your using a small tank --- the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen --- basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer stick ons are inaccurate -- you can use the screen placing it half on w/ the UVB sitting width wise and screen butted up to it --- please get the basking decor directly under it -- as of now hes not getting enough UVB --- if you need more help please ask --

Mrphuzz

Original Poster
Sorry for the long delay in replying, life got pretty hectic (and still is!).

A brief bit of news: short version of the story, I rescued a beardie last night. Super thin, looked malnourished to me. He ate dubia pretty well, so that is good. And he seems to be alert and active. So that is good too. But just looked unhealthy.

But anyway, I got a 40gal tank (from the guy I rescued the beardie from). 36"x18" x17. It's not the ideal size still, but it's better. My finances are rather tight at the moment. My guy is about 15" nose to tail, so from what I was reading, that's not TOO bad,l of a tank size, but of course a bit larger would be ideal. The rescue has the same size tank. One tank has a normal screen top, the other is like a hard wire mesh lid that I lift off. They are both glass tanks. Oh, and the rescue is a little smaller, maybe by a few inches

I was looking online regarding my UVB bulbs. As stated, I have a T8 10.0 Reptisun. I was looking at a ZooMed pdf file (https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Choosing-Correct-UVB-Lamp-2018-07.pdf) and it looks like it suggest a T5 10.0 High Output lamp. Am I reading this right? If so, I'm a little confused about the placement. It seems like I should attach them inside the tank. How high on the wall? 8-10" above his normal basking spot? I assume it would be in relation to where his main basking spot is...? Also, the length of the bulb... I think I read somewhere that the dragon should be able to get away from the UVB so they can be in an index of 0... but of course needs have access to the proper index. If this is correct, then I take it that the bulb should not be the full length of the tank. If that is correct, then how long do you think would be appropriate? And should it be on the same side as the basking area?

Regarding substrate, I don't use it. I just have medium sized river rock on the bottom, as well as a decent climbing "stick". I have a half "log" as a hide for him.

Regarding basking bulb, I currently set it on top of the lid, and adjust it so the temp is about 90°F on the top of his half log where he basks. Is this reasonable?

Regarding feeding, I feed my dubia various things, powder type foods, as well as carrots and such. For my dragon, I feed him the dubia as well as mustard greens, collars greens, and a bit of fruit, like diced apples. Mine is about 3yo I think, and the rescue is unknown, but I was told "at least 2yo". So... Should I let them have as much dubia as they want? Or if I do that, will they not eat their greens enough? I've also read something about adding a bit of olive oil to the greens. Any thoughts on this?

Ok, I guess that's it for now.

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
T 5's can sit on top of the tank but it must be a WIDE HOLE screen --- 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- T 8's MUST BE inside the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb directly above the basking decor piece 6-8 inches - The T 5 replaced once a year I recommend 11 months and T 8's every 6 months I recommend every 5---
Basking temps should be 95-100 for a adult / juvie dragon taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
For tanks 40 + gallon w/ heights of 18 inches a T 5 tanks lower than 18" a T 8 - you need distance for a T 5

Mrphuzz

Original Poster
Regarding the t5 light, the basking piece is probably 4 to 5 in tall. The tank is 17 in tall. So it sounds to me like it would be reasonable to put the light inside the tank, attached up near the top of the glass. Do you agree?

Also, do you have any input on my usage of the rocks instead of substrate, and do you have any input on the feeding that I laid out?

Thanks again for your help and information!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Mrphuzz":2742m95o said:
Regarding the t5 light, the basking piece is probably 4 to 5 in tall. The tank is 17 in tall. So it sounds to me like it would be reasonable to put the light inside the tank, attached up near the top of the glass. Do you agree? Yes make sure your distance is 12-15 inches directly above and you dont want the length the same as the tank - the UVB does not need to be by the basking bulb it is optimal but they will go to the light they need

Also, do you have any input on my usage of the rocks instead of substrate, and do you have any input on the feeding that I laid out? Do you want to keep the rocks? I would switch the substrate over to some textured NON adhesive shelf liner you can get the shelf liner from Walmart or you local home improvement store - cut to the size of the tank insects cannot get underneath just use the rocks for climbing on
As far as feeding adult dragons should get insects 2-3 times per week - I would get some dubia food for your dubias and some water crystals for hydration you can feed them squash and other fruits as supplements - remember what your feeding the roaches the dragons are getting too -- as far as adding olive oil I wouldnt -- olive oil is used to help w/ impaction -- rinse the greens before serving and the dragons will most of the hydration from them - but they also get it from the gut loaded dubias --

Thanks again for your help and information!

Mrphuzz

Original Poster
So I'm having a hard time finding fixtures for putting a t5 fluorescent bulb inside the tank. I'm sure I can find a hood to put on top of the lid, but I prefer to put it inside the tank. Maybe I'm just not looking for the right keywords. Do you have any recommendations?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How long is the bulb? Look on these websites
www.pangeareptiles.com
www.petmountain.com
Try Amazon- type in the length of fixture Zoo Med look for a sunblaster or Arcadia but you you need the length of fixture want a 22" bulb will fit a 24" fixture do not get a fixture the same length of tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom