Neglected beardie rescued! Major skin issues please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyhaw89

111503-3048905586.jpg
111503-148701380.jpg
3 days ago I took in a big handsome guy named duke. His previous owner had him for only 6mo but for them months he did not take proper care of him! He used a 75w red bulb and no UVB ? He also only fed him bugs (crickets and meal worms) as he claims he didn’t know he could feed them greens etc. He used sand as substrate, which he didn’t clean/change.

Duke definitely has some stuck shed in some areas so I soaked him in a bath twice already, He’s a healthy eater with both bugs and greens.

Please take a look at the pics I’ve posted of him and let me know your opinions, This poor guy please help me help him
111503-6720590023.jpg

111503-8749543996.jpg

111503-9913006308.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its good you rescued him when you did he would of gotten really sick w/ a red light and NO UVB --- please get him a bright white basking bulb some thing like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb and you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get his temps -- 95-100 -- and a good UVB like a Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank -- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb --- I will post some links for the fixtures -- get this ASAP- in the mean time get him out in the sun for 15 minutes - let him sit on you if you use a container use a plastic tote NO GLASS - set him in direct sunlight/ partial shade DO NOT leave him unattended -- that will help till you get the UVB -- do this every day --- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html you can look on Amazon see if you can find it --- this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb -- hang on to it for a spare or back up but the distance and placement will be different from the Reptisun 10.0 bulb -- so make sure you order that as well -- the place I linked you to are really good they are fast they ship Fed Ex -- shipping is cheap $7 -- once you get the UVB in and some good sunlight the skin issues should clear up - I am going to have AHBD address the skin issue - she can better help than I

Alyhaw89

Original Poster
So it doesn’t look like he has yellow fungus at all? And I’m going to buy a the stringer basking bulb and uvb right now I currently have him using a 75watt and 50watt uvb, Anything else you guys can help out with I greatly appreciate it so much! He’s such a good boy and I just want to help him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is this stringer basking bulb and uvb? He needs a bright white basking bulb --- a digital probe thermometer and a Zoo Med -- Sunblaster or Arcadia UVB fixture -- 24" for a 40+ gallon tank -- a Arcadia 12% bulb or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- NO coils -if you need websites for those things I mentioned let me know I will post some for you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please scroll to the top to my previous post I posted some links - if you need more help or have questions please ask

Alyhaw89

Original Poster
Some updated pics of duke, I can’t wait to see what his natural colors are under all that bad shed

111503-8307617437.jpg

111503-1494263374.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it doesn't look to be Yellow fungus but just older scales that haven't shed. I would
continue with a warm bath daily or every other day to help with the shedding process.
What UVB lighting are you planning on using for him?
I think he will be just fine & he is lucky to have a good home now! Let us know how he is
doing & adjusting.

Tracie

Alyhaw89

Original Poster
I have him in a 60gal tank with 2 18in UVB in the top hood I’m also using a 100watt baking bulb for him which he seems to love, Day by day he looks better and better! I did some research and I believe he’s a translucent morph due to the black eyes and value usb eye lids and clear spikes? Is that correct?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure the UVB is UNOBSTRUCTED -- no screen and no plastic clear cover over the bulb --- the T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen --- I am not savvy about morphs -- and I am so glad to hear his doing good ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom