Neglected beardie rescued! Major skin issues please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyhaw89

111503-3048905586.jpg
111503-148701380.jpg
3 days ago I took in a big handsome guy named duke. His previous owner had him for only 6mo but for them months he did not take proper care of him! He used a 75w red bulb and no UVB ? He also only fed him bugs (crickets and meal worms) as he claims he didn’t know he could feed them greens etc. He used sand as substrate, which he didn’t clean/change.

Duke definitely has some stuck shed in some areas so I soaked him in a bath twice already, He’s a healthy eater with both bugs and greens.

Please take a look at the pics I’ve posted of him and let me know your opinions, This poor guy please help me help him
111503-6720590023.jpg

111503-8749543996.jpg

111503-9913006308.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its good you rescued him when you did he would of gotten really sick w/ a red light and NO UVB --- please get him a bright white basking bulb some thing like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb and you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get his temps -- 95-100 -- and a good UVB like a Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank -- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb --- I will post some links for the fixtures -- get this ASAP- in the mean time get him out in the sun for 15 minutes - let him sit on you if you use a container use a plastic tote NO GLASS - set him in direct sunlight/ partial shade DO NOT leave him unattended -- that will help till you get the UVB -- do this every day --- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html you can look on Amazon see if you can find it --- this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb -- hang on to it for a spare or back up but the distance and placement will be different from the Reptisun 10.0 bulb -- so make sure you order that as well -- the place I linked you to are really good they are fast they ship Fed Ex -- shipping is cheap $7 -- once you get the UVB in and some good sunlight the skin issues should clear up - I am going to have AHBD address the skin issue - she can better help than I

Alyhaw89

Original Poster
So it doesn’t look like he has yellow fungus at all? And I’m going to buy a the stringer basking bulb and uvb right now I currently have him using a 75watt and 50watt uvb, Anything else you guys can help out with I greatly appreciate it so much! He’s such a good boy and I just want to help him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is this stringer basking bulb and uvb? He needs a bright white basking bulb --- a digital probe thermometer and a Zoo Med -- Sunblaster or Arcadia UVB fixture -- 24" for a 40+ gallon tank -- a Arcadia 12% bulb or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- NO coils -if you need websites for those things I mentioned let me know I will post some for you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please scroll to the top to my previous post I posted some links - if you need more help or have questions please ask

Alyhaw89

Original Poster
Some updated pics of duke, I can’t wait to see what his natural colors are under all that bad shed

111503-8307617437.jpg

111503-1494263374.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it doesn't look to be Yellow fungus but just older scales that haven't shed. I would
continue with a warm bath daily or every other day to help with the shedding process.
What UVB lighting are you planning on using for him?
I think he will be just fine & he is lucky to have a good home now! Let us know how he is
doing & adjusting.

Tracie

Alyhaw89

Original Poster
I have him in a 60gal tank with 2 18in UVB in the top hood I’m also using a 100watt baking bulb for him which he seems to love, Day by day he looks better and better! I did some research and I believe he’s a translucent morph due to the black eyes and value usb eye lids and clear spikes? Is that correct?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure the UVB is UNOBSTRUCTED -- no screen and no plastic clear cover over the bulb --- the T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen --- I am not savvy about morphs -- and I am so glad to hear his doing good ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom