Rankins not moving or eating much, occasionally very active

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinade

Hi, We have a Rankins Dragon female who is about 20 months old. She came out of brumation in March, and was doing great, but over the last 6 weeks, she has become very lethargic. She'll spend days barely coming out of her cave, and not eating much at all. She sleeps a lot but usually has her eyes open when in there. We could hold a waxworm out in front of her to tempt her to come and then she'd eat a couple of worms, but its very rare she goes to her food bowl to eat on her own. We usually giver her Dubia and BSFL. Every once in a while she will be very active, running around, digging a lot, and glass surfing. She was still gaining weight so we weren't worried but over the last 3 weeks she's lost 6 g (from 163 to 157). She did poop yesterday so not impacted. We replaced her UVB light with a stronger one (even though it wasn't old) and have a good temp gradient established. We are having trouble getting her multivitamin powder because she eats so little. I thought this might be normal breeding season behavior (wild reptiles often lose weight during breeding season); she's shown some interest in digging, and we gave her some dirt, but she hasn't laid any eggs. But, that's probably just wishful thinking. Any advice? Thanks very much!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of her to show her body size and also pics of her tank ? It's common for adults to go through periods like this, in captivity they don't have to hunt and all their needs are taken care of so they may just be lazy at times, cozy in their preferred hang out spot. The weight loss is not a concern, that could be the amount simply lost from her last poo. What is her length ? Unless the weight keeps trending down it's not a problem. If so you could have a fecal test done to check for parasites. BTW, what is her name ?

kevinade

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your help AHBD, Her name is chomp. Here are some pictures. Her length is 6" SVL, 11" with tail included. I know her terrarium setup isn't ideal... In August we are moving so we plan to get a larger terrarium and tube UVB light then. But, she's been fine with this set up in the past, and always basked plenty. As of today, her weight dropped 0.4g since July 4th (her last poo was July 3). Thanks for any other advice you have!!

kevinade

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your help AHBD, Her name is chomp. Here are some pictures. Her length is 6" SVL, 11" with tail included. I know her terrarium setup isn't ideal... In August we are moving so we plan to get a larger terrarium and tube UVB light then. But, she's been fine with this set up in the past, and always basked plenty. As of today, her weight dropped 0.4g since July 4th (her last poo was July 3). Thanks for any other advice you have!!
107485-8582636406.jpg
107485-7354993806.jpg
107485-8441890315.jpg
107485-4934931765.jpg
107485-7021742784.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Chomp looks great, has a little bit of chub on her so not underweight at all. :) Your set up looks good but I'm concerned that the lack of uvb might be affecting her if you just have a coil/compact bulb. How old is the uv bulb ? I would get a long tube bulb ASAP to make suure that's not a problem right now. BTW, can you possibly take her out to get natural sun ?

kevinade

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the reassurance, AHBD! Her UVB bulb is only a month old, I got it when she started being inactive; it's an Exo Terra Reptile UVB150, which seemed like a good bulb as far as compacts go. In August we will get her a whole new set up (with a UVB tube). I've started taking her out for natural sun, but will do it more! Thanks so much for your help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! Oh, and sorry I missed in your original post that the UVB was just a month old. Getting her out in the sun should take care of her uvb needs, she does look very healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom