Curling nail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan2021

Hello!

I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of advice :)
We’ve had Rex for 2 years and during one of his first check ups at the vet, they also cut his nails to show us how it was done as we wanted a professional to show us first! She did cut the vein on one of his toes but we didn’t think much of it as he was a baby and very wriggly and it wasn’t until we got home that we realised she’s cut the whole nail off! It didn’t carry on bleeding and we had a google and since then have been waiting for it to grow back.

The first few months after that the growth was really slow but figured as the whole nail had gone that it would take some time. We’ve been keeping an eye on it ever since but after it started growing again it began curling. We’ve tried cutting it anytime it grew but it just won’t stop curling and now we’re a bit lost as to what to do. He was supposed to be at the vets on Friday (18th) but we’re having to self isolate which means his appointment has been pushed back a few weeks.

Any advice would be massively helpful because we’ve tried managing it for so long and now are completely stuck :(
I also have pictures but no idea how to attach them!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok I am going to have AHBD help you -- see what she can advise on this

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The vet should have never cut the nail on a baby, all you need is to have a few good sized flat rocks in the tank to keep them trim. The trauma of having the entire nail cut off may be why it's growing like that , other than that I have no guess. Have you been cutting it ?

Megan2021

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply :))

Yes, once he got older and it started to finally grow back we started to trim it with the rest of his nails but after a while it started to curl and I couldn’t cut it anymore. He does have a rock but he’s not interested in it. He also has a cave type thing which he digs all the sand out of so he does have something to file his nails on but he’s so fussy at times ?

Thanks for the reply :))

Yes, once he got older and it started to finally grow back we started to trim it with the rest of his nails but after a while it started to curl and I couldn’t cut it anymore. He does have a rock but he’s not interested in it. He also has a cave type thing which he digs all the sand out of so he does have something to file his nails on but he’s so fussy at times ?
That is your problem, he is kept on sand so there's not much to file his nails on. Plus, a common thing that happens with beardies is inhalation of sand, and it could seriously hurt them, or be fatal. I'd say across the board, your best option is to switch to tile as the base of your little guy's cage :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom