Shed on Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Kaida has been shedding lately. Hasnt been doing a full body shed, just various places. Head and tail only so far. But he now has some shed around the tip of his tail and the very tip of his tail is now bending about 45 degrees.

So I was wondering if I should try to remove the shed. I know you generally don't. I also know they can loose toes and parts of their tail if you don't though. I already sprayed it down with some water to try and help it.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Can you post a picture? Try soaking him in shallow water so the skin can get nice and soft, use a washcloth to gently wipe the area, see if the skin comes off that way.

SquiggleWolf

Original Poster
Gail":2mo52y1z said:
Can you post a picture? Try soaking him in shallow water so the skin can get nice and soft, use a washcloth to gently wipe the area, see if the skin comes off that way.

111155-8757741190.jpg
Pic of his tail.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Thank you. That looks like the tail tip has already died and is drying up. Just leave it be and keep a eye on it, if it spread then he'll need a vet.
The tip will eventually fall off like a scab. Not much to do besides watching for infection

SquiggleWolf

Original Poster
Aww poor buddy. That happened really fast then. Over night pretty much. That's good to know...
But Ill make sure to watch it.

SquiggleWolf

Original Poster
Gail":1dmkbdvg said:
Thank you. That looks like the tail tip has already died and is drying up. Just leave it be and keep a eye on it, if it spread then he'll need a vet.
The tip will eventually fall off like a scab. Not much to do besides watching for infection

Is there anything you can use on it to help avoid infection?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can put some plain neosporin on it to help protect against infection. Tail rot is a general term that usually refers to an infection that kills tissue along the tail. This can be quite dangerous if left untreated. A tail injury that does not wind up getting infected will often heal over and cause no further problems down the line. Look out for crimped or damaged tissue appearing to move further up the tail which could indicate infection. If the tail doesn't start to look worse, then it isn't likely to pose a long term problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom