Not sure if sick or not, already tried vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malonze

8 month old dragon. Assumed male.

It started with me noticing hes not eating or pooping. I assumed compaction or consdtipation. After trying warm baths. Belly rubs. And small doses of prune juice with no success i brought to vet. Vet said not impacted (did an xray) but is shedding on face so that could be the reason. Did a normal check and everything else looked normal.

Its need 1 week since vet. Dragon started eating bugs again but not salads. Very very tiny poops if any at all. No real poop yet.

Now his eyes are almost always closed. They were at first when shedding but i dont see any more shed or even stuck shed. I bathed and put on shed helper incase but i dont see anything near the eyes. No bulging. Not sunk in. Not discharging.

He is also acting lethargic the last 2 or so days.

Basking spot is 110-120. Uvb/uva good. Paper towel substrate (for now will upgrade soon)

Any ideas?

Ryanps

Hey there, it seems your basking temps are to high. They should be between 100-110. What type of UVB light are you using, a coil or tube? I would start by getting those temps down a bit and move out from there if that doesn’t help.
-Ryan

Malonze

Original Poster
I just bought a new tube light but its not installed yet as im right now custom building his new enclosure so that will be put into the new cage. Atm hes got a coil light for the uvb on the cool side. and a larger dome shaped bulb for heat but also generates uva / uvb on the warm side

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes the temps are too hot you want temps 95-100 and taken w/ digital probe thermometer --- NO stickons they are inaccurate-- the dragon needs to be hydrated as well --- UVB ----- lets go over that ---- NO coils --- they are inadequate-- you need a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Sunblaster or a Arcadia --- please let me know what your using so we can get this fixed -- try some canned pumpkin that will also get things moving for pooping --- I am thinking its your UVB w/ him not eating very much and the eyes closed --- big flag there ---- NO colored bulbs in the tank please NO heat mats or rocks and NO sand for substrate --- NO off colored white or yellow bulbs for basking --- bright white basking bulbs please----------- please start using the new UVB --- what did you buy? Brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8 these have certain distances and placement

Malonze

Original Poster
The new bulb is zilla brand t8 desert bulb.

I dont have any colored lights. Unless the heat bulb is one? Its lightly yellow tint but not quite daylight. I have a heat bulb thats ceramic and has 0 light too. I used that during winter to keep him warm. I live in florida so winter was like a few days of 40-50 F. The rest of the time is 70ish. Atm its 80-90 outside with the ac being between 78-80 F inside.

He is hydrated. I checked his skin and other signs of dehydration and he doesnt appear to be so.

I will try the pumkin for movements. But the vet said he isnt constipated or impacted. Based on an xray she did.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please take the clear plastic cover off the fixture and replace that Zilla bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 it is a way better bulb --- place the fixture in the tank approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece ---- if that fixture is on the screen w/ the cover over the bulb hes getting 0 UVB -- the cover and the screen are blocking those rays and this would be the issue for not eating very much and the pooping thing --- do that first and watch his behavior here is something to use for hanging in the tank
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties or I use this stuff it works great its like aVelcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

Malonze

Original Poster
I am making a custom enclosure for. Him that is 4x2x2 made from wood with a glass front. Several vents on the sides and top for airflow. I was gonna cut out the shape of the lights at the top with a ridge to fit right in and hold without having to put screen but i might put hardware mesh to prevent him from touching directly if he desided to jump for it. Dunno why he would but id rather be safe on that.

111276-5562974112.jpg

Bad pic but not home atm. all i have to show. Its still being built and not done

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For a 120 gallon tank your going to want to upgrade the Zilla to a 24" fixture Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia UVB w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- but I would get that Zilla UVB fixed / situated ASAP--- hes not getting any UVB w/ the way its set up now --

Malonze

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ygqwmege said:
For a 120 gallon tank your going to want to upgrade the Zilla to a 24" fixture Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia UVB w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- but I would get that Zilla UVB fixed / situated ASAP--- hes not getting any UVB w/ the way its set up now --

Hes not using the zilla one yet i just got it 2 days ago its still in the box. Im gonna try to finish up the new enclosure i made this weekend and get him in there.

The zilla is a 24" but should i just replace the bulb? Or the whole lighting fixture? Its still in the box so i can return if needed

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is it for a T 8 bulb or a T 5 bulb --- I have not heard of Zillas having the T 5 bulbs but its possible --- you want a T 5 for a 120 gallon tank --- T 8's MUST HAVE a distance inside the tank of 6-8 inches and for a 120 gallon tank you dont want that -- the height is too far to hang in the tank -- T 5's distance is 12-15 inches inside the tank and those Zilla fixtures arent the greatest anyway TBH-- get one of the ones I recommended you will be happier w/ it -- I can post some links for websites to get them from if you like or look at your store where you got the Zilla --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom