Double Jointed Hind Legs and Hips??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! My baby bearded dragon Chai appears to have double jointed hips, but I’m not sure if it’s a serious health issue. She’s been like that since I got her in November, and she hasn’t grown much either. I feed her lots of small crickets, mealworms, waxworms, hornworms, and she’s a huge fan of leafy green like chard and mustard greens. She just moves her hind legs weird— she never really bends her knees, and sometimes when she’s startled, her legs bend upwards at the hips, like a V. I’ve been searching vet websites to find out what it could be, but so far I haven’t found anything conclusive since her only issues are the weird leg movements. She can run around just fine, and is pretty fast, but she always keeps her back legs straight when running, like her knees are locked. Does anyone know what this could be? I’m taking her to the vet soon, but any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure if that is MBD or not --- can you post a pic of her please--
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
What are you using for a UVB---- brand and bulb please --- is it a coil or tube ? Where in the tank is it?

FluffyAndChai

Original Poster
I couldn’t get a pic of her doing the V thing, but I got some of her running with one or more legs straight. Her UV bulb is a 125 watt Solar Glo bulb from Exo-Terra; it’s the bulb her tank/care kit came with from Petsmart. The box says that since it’s above the middle of her tank, she’s getting about 50 micro watts of UVB per square cm, so I’m guessing she might need more?
111255-2875759080.jpg
111255-4245725898.jpg
111255-6975230663.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes she needs another uvb - I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet tech mod- I will post more info for you tomorrow- and I would look at getting what I post ASAP--

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need another UVB like one of these two
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html and they are out of stock but you can find this bulb at other sites this fixture also comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it use it if you need for back up distance and placement tho is different from the 10.0 bulb or you can get this fixture it comes w/ a bulb and Arcadias are very good
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html 24" fixture w/ the 12% bulb
I would get this ordered ASAP-- I dont know exactly what is going on here but it does not look right I am going to flag to AHBD see if she can help as well -- let me know when you get the UVB I will help you get it set up in the tank
How far distance is the Solar Glo and what wattage is the bulb? I dont know anything about the UVB rays/ watts per sq cm shes getting --- was that actually read w/ a solarmeter?

FluffyAndChai

Original Poster
The UVB per square cm was from the chart on the back of the box that gave the amount she’s getting based on the distance from the bottom of the tank. It’s 24” from the tank floor, since it’s resting on top of the lid. I’ll definitely look for and get those bulbs for her as soon as I can. She’s been like this ever since we got her as a baby, I didn’t think it was anything serious at first since this is how she came. thank you so much for all of your help and suggestions!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did the chart say w/ screen or w/ out? I would get the MVB unobstructed if you can get a dome stand or get rid of the MVB all together and get a regular bright white basking bulb-- the UVB I recommended is a good one you can also try www.petmountain.com they carry the same Reptisun Zoo Med fixture and bulb as well --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, poor thing. She most likely has metabolic bone disease due to lower intensity UVB
lighting which is a very common ailment. As Karrie has suggested, one of the lights that she
placed a link for is highly recommended to help provide a more well rounded source of UVB
lighting. I love the Solar Glo MVB so you can definitely continue to use the Solar Glo MVB as
a UVB source because it does emit some. I have used those in the past & they are great but
usually don't provide real strong UVB emissions. So combining a tube bulb along with the MVB
light would be excellent.
How often do you give calcium for her? Is she able to get food on her own also?

Tracie

FluffyAndChai

Original Poster
We were told with my last beardie that they’re supposed to have their food dusted twice a week, so I try to keep dusting her crickets and insects with calcium every three or four days— yesterday was the most recent dusting. She’s a really active hunter and she can be pretty fast when chasing crickets, so she’s able to get food on her own. She just acts like her back legs are swimming when she runs. In regards to Karrie’s question, the chart didn’t say anything about a screen or not, so I just put it where I could. Thank you both so much for helping me find out what this is and how to care for her better! I’ll definitely get the second UVB source for her

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When you get the UVB please post back here and I will help you get set up in the tank--- I will need the bulb you get and the screen - I am going to recommend you put it inside of the tank given the condition she's in-- also start dusting her insects 5 x per week ONCE per feeding the calcium D 3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2x per week once per feeding

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
As Karrie suggested, calcium needs to be given more often right now since she is still young
& growing!
Let us know how things go with your lighting improvements. I hope she responds quickly to a
stronger UVB.

Tracie

FluffyAndChai

Original Poster
Sorry for the super late response! Finals were nuts, and the month just flew before I knew it! I think she’s doing better, she’s running more and eating a ton, and she seems overall happier with the new UV. She’s not as skinny as she was, and she hardly flops or stumbles while running, which is awesome! Thank you all so much for all your help! God bless you all!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am so glad shes doing better just remember to change that UVB out in about a year I recommend a month prior to for the T 5 --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom