Is my beardie ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon's (Toby) been only eats up to 1-3 crickets (4-5 if lucky) everyday and poops biweekly. He's not as energetic as he was before the incident and he only shed a small portion of his face and then hasn't shedded since forever, he also never eats his veggies unless they are moving (which they aren't cause they're veggies) He is able to move around, licks at stuff out of curiosity, he has a heat lamp and uv light that gets replaced frequently, he basks and wonders around every once in a while. When I first got him (before the incident) hes been more energetic, he ran after his food before I placed it in his tank, he ate way more crickets and he baked in his light. He so seems to have his right eye shut most of the time, it's not puffy or anything and there isn't shed on it but he almost always has it shut unless he's more active. Should I be worried?
How do I get him more energetic? How do I get him to eat more crickets and how do I get him to eat his veggies?

His temp is a little over 80
His humidity is a little under 40
His length is 23Cm
He has a basking spot and a cooler side of the tank

Tank set up description:
Left side of tank- he has a heat pad under the tank, blanket, with a rock in the back corner. He has a desert tree to climb for a basking area and a hamik thing he can go on (his tree will be replaced when he gets bigger) and he has his uv and heat lamp, thermometer
Right side- he has his eating dish
All tank- he has a background of a sky and desert view and wooden flooring
His tank I'm pretty sure is 40gallons (idk)

The incident:
Back in Sept 2020, i move into my sisters room (temp due to renovations) who's door didn't shut properly. You were able to push it open very easily. I went out with my mom to the store and when I got back home my cat had the door open and ripped open my bearded dragon's tank lid and bit him in the head. We thought he wouldn't make it but he managed to recover for a small thing. I've moved to a different room since and got a stronger tank lid for him. We applied medication to his head everyday to prevent infection until it healed properly.
He had 3 bite marks one where his mid eye, one on his left side of his face between his ear and eye and one beside his eye and above his ear on the left side. I would post pictures of him and his tank but I don't know how to, I'm new.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The basking temps and UVB control the over all behavior and health-- -- please tell me what your using for a UVB -- brand and bulb -- coil or tube? Where in the tank is it top of screen or inside the tank! How old is the dragon? Basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stick ons they are inaccurate-- if any of this is not up.to par the dragon will eat very little or eventually quit all together

GreySinister

Original Poster
I'm using Exo Terra brand, coil. We bought tube uv light online so we might replace it. It's ontop of the screen. He is 1 year old ( I think he's small for his age). I don't use a stick thermometer

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coil ASAP-- what tube do you have? Brand and bulb please--- you need to get this set up ASAP-- I will help you but I need the info first- do you have the fixture too?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that will work for now but you need a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank--- that is better than the coil- they cause so many health issues -- I will post websites tomorrow for you - you need a Reptisun 10.0 bulb - what size tank do you have now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank -- this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used as a back up hang on to it - distance and placement would be different from the bulb you need
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
this bulb you need 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
or you can go w/ this fixture it has a bulb and its a good brand
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
I would get this ordered ASAP-
I just looked and you measured in centimeters are you in the states? If not please go here and look for fixtures https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-kit-desert-12/
you need a digital probe thermometer stick ons do not give accurate basking temps
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/exo-terra-digital-thermometer/
Please get this ASAP -- your dragon wont eat w/ out proper UVB and basking temps If you need any more help please ask -- and when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you set it up in the tank ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom