Huge blood vomit - info needed only, dragon sadly passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindXX

Hi all, I'm just looking for a possible cause, as the title says, there is no immediate rush.

Last night I fed my Rankin dragon her usual live food (Morios). She was enthusiastic, no sign of discomfort or unusual behaviour. I had her 6yrs (she was the real runt of the litter in a pet shop) so I know her routine behaviour.

30 mins later I saw her lying in a massive pool of blood (her body length, and about 3 times her body width) containing the works and some other... bits (stomach lining?) I cleaned her up and warmed her gently on a heat mat through a blanket but she passed about an hour later whilst we were looking for an emergency vet.

I think it may be cancer but I'm just wondering what other people think our may have experienced. It really shocked is, both with the speed and horrificness of what happened.

Thanks in advance for your insight and experience.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm saddened to hear this happened =(. It's hard to say what the exact cause is without a necropsy. Possibly something like cancer, or perhaps organ failure (or both). It sounds like she hid the illness until the very end, like they do by design.

BlindXX

Original Poster
Thank you. Yeah, she may have been hiding it, as they do. Her final feed though, was the best I've ever seen. She's always had a little trouble with her depth perception and this was the first time ever I've successfully seen her hunt down two of her worms. Usually I have to assist her much more. That's why we were so shocked. Her appetite was fine and I always thought that was one of the first things to go when they are ill.

I read about liver issues being a possible problem, but there isn't huge amounts of info out there when it comes to throwing up blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom