Long Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time beardie owner! My boy has been brumating since November, and it’s May and he still is. Is this normal? (He was a baby when I got him in February of 2020 if that helps.) Any help/tips are appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Babies do not brumate ---- unless they are huge -- like over 300 grams -- something else is going on w/ the dragon ---- please get him out and hydrate him first --- either by bathing offering water on the nose or misting him ---- the lighting in the tank we need to go over it-- what are you using for a UVB NO coils please --- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons -- babies need temps 105-110 juvies/ adults 95-100--- a dragon will should only brumate for about 3 months NO longer --- and they should be a year or older for a full brumation

MollyAndNax

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1r1yh80g said:
Babies do not brumate ---- unless they are huge -- like over 300 grams -- something else is going on w/ the dragon ---- please get him out and hydrate him first --- either by bathing offering water on the nose or misting him ---- the lighting in the tank we need to go over it-- what are you using for a UVB NO coils please --- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons -- babies need temps 105-110 juvies/ adults 95-100--- a dragon will should only brumate for about 3 months NO longer --- and they should be a year or older for a full brumation
His UVB is a 26 watt “desert UVB bulb,” and his basking temps are 90, there’s a thermometer in his tank. We’ve been meaning to get a better basking bulb but haven’t found any good ones.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Where is the 26 watt bulb- it should be unobstructed meaning NO screen and in a reflective dome w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- is the 26 watt a Reptisun brand? How old is the dragon now ? 8 months old? Your basking temps of 90 is not near warm enough for a baby or adult / juvie---- please go to the petstore and get a digital probe thermometer like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
Next if the UVB is over 6 months old please replace it w/ this https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-Terrarium-Inside-ReptiSun/dp/B07HJG7TJ4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23L0F42ZH28JZ&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+uvb+light+fixture&qid=1620227502&sprefix=zoo+med+uvb%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-1 this is good for a 40 + gallon tank
all my go to places are out of stock -- this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 hang on to it use the 10.0 bulb - the 5.0 can be used as a back up but the distance and placement for it is different from the 10.0- - get a bright white basking bulb -- like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202
Start w/ a 100 watt -- make sure you have that digital probe thermometer -- get the temps to what I posted for the age of the dragon -- when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you place it in the tank

MollyAndNax

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nw5wyhl said:
Where is the 26 watt bulb- it should be unobstructed meaning NO screen and in a reflective dome w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- is the 26 watt a Reptisun brand? How old is the dragon now ? 8 months old? Your basking temps of 90 is not near warm enough for a baby or adult / juvie---- please go to the petstore and get a digital probe thermometer like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
Next if the UVB is over 6 months old please replace it w/ this https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-Terrarium-Inside-ReptiSun/dp/B07HJG7TJ4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23L0F42ZH28JZ&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+uvb+light+fixture&qid=1620227502&sprefix=zoo+med+uvb%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-1 this is good for a 40 + gallon tank
all my go to places are out of stock -- this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 hang on to it use the 10.0 bulb - the 5.0 can be used as a back up but the distance and placement for it is different from the 10.0- - get a bright white basking bulb -- like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202
Start w/ a 100 watt -- make sure you have that digital probe thermometer -- get the temps to what I posted for the age of the dragon -- when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you place it in the tank
He’s about 15/16 months old now, and his UVB is where you said it should be (glad I’m doing one thing right haha.) The 26 watt is reptisun I’m pretty sure. Thank you for all the links, will be sure to get the stuff!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Those basking temps and the UVB are the TWO MOST important things in that tank -- please get them fixed ASAP- I will help you get it placed when you get the UVB please post back on here when you get the UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom