Bearded dragon with upper respiratory infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a 3-month-old bearded dragon is not doing too well, I have made posts about women in the past not eating, about him and possibly having an eye infection or possibly a upper respiratory infection and after taking him to the vet and getting shots for him once every 3 days for the last 2 weeks 3 weeks, and also deworming him because he had coccidiosis, he still does not seem to be doing better with the respiratory infection.. so I got a nebulizer yesterday and wanted to know if anybody knew where to buy or order Baytril 10%.... I didn't get colonial silver but it doesn't seem to work as good as Bay trail from what I've read and from what everybody keeps telling me.. I'm new to the beardy world so I'm just figuring out all the different sites to order stuff from, if anybody can point me in the right direction and I'll greatly appreciate it thank you
Ps I also wanted to add that I am extremely worried we are on our last leg but this little guy, I got from the pet store and he is not done well at all since we got him, there are some mornings I wake up and I honestly have to question myself to see if he is still alive.. his eyes are all gooey I've been cleaning those and putting terramycin in them or on them I should say, I've been hand feeding him critical Care I'm really trying my best to take care of him but I can tell he's having an extremely hard time breathing gasping for air and there's almost like when he does gas for air he freaks out and starts jumping all over the cage, the vet is to the point that they have given me papers to put him to sleep and they're trying to tell me that's the next step because he's not doing any better.. n the vet trying telling me that they believe it might be neurological, well I went in there for upper respiratory infection and after getting all these shots and paying for everything for the last 3 weeks he still has the respiratory infection, I want to get rid of that and see how he behaves before I decide if I'm going to take this little guy's life.. if I can get rid of the infection and all he has is a little neurological problem, so what, that's up to me to decide if I want to take care of him or not, and I have no problem doing so.... so I'm not just going to jump to putting him down first hand

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
please go over Dracos lighting UVB and basking temps-- how are you taking them and what are they? UVB brand and bulb and where in the tank is it --- the gooey eyes sounds like a lighting issue-- NO coils please --- the rest of the issues I am going to flag the post to Tracie the vet tech mod and AHBD -- they can help better than I -- but your lighting in the tank is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT --

DracosMama

Original Poster
Like I mentioned in the first post, I have made prior post about Draco before so I have checked his lighting numerous numerous times with tracy, she's actually the one that got me help to set it up the way I have it now but just to reiterate which is no problem, I have a 101 basking light that at the hottest point it's between 100 and 105 and it decreases from there the cold end is about 80, humidity is always between 30 and 40%, I just got a new AC put in my house 2 months ago and since then it really keeps up with the humidity and everything like that extremely well in here, I have a repti sun 22-in UVB light it's a T5... I have it inside the tank but at his highest point he's about 12 in maybe 14 inches away from the lighting, and to be honest with you most of the time he's on the bottom of the cage jumping around, like I had mentioned the doctor thinks that he may have some neurological issues because he does kind of spaz out jumping at the glass for like 2 minutes straight every 10-15 minutes, but I believe he's gulping and gasping for air because he has upper respiratory infection, and it's almost like he can't catch his breath so when he finally does it's like he almost panics right before he catches it.. either way if he has a neurological issue I still want to keep him... She's already talking about me putting him to sleep and sent me cremation papers through email, I just want this stupid vet to help me get rid of this respiratory infection, that way I can see what his quality of life is once that's gone if he's able to breathe on his own and he's eating, but has a little neurological issues that's fine I would still keep him and take care of but as of now every time he opens his mouth to breathe I can hear a clicking noise, it looks like he's gulping, and eyes are a little crusty one more than the other, it started on the left and I started cleaning that and taking care of it and it started to get better but then the right eye started so now I'm cleaning both and putting taramycin on both.... I've been struggling with him since I got him from PetSmart two and a half months ago, he only weighs 10 g he's not gaining weight because all he's eating is a critical care once a day he won't eat nothing throughout the day until really late at night for some reason, but I do give him lots of water throughout the day about 2 ml twice a day and then again at night when I feed him I give him some water once he's done.. so he really gets water three times a day and gets fed once because that's all he'll take right now for food

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so lighting and temps are all good --- Guess I am not understanding why hes got a RI going w/ everything good in the tank -- can you post a video of him doing what your describing -- you can record on youtube and post the link --- that might help Tracie and AHBD get a better idea of whats going on --they can help you w/ the meds as well --- are you going to the same vet - would it be better to get another opinion --- I will post this link for you in case you want to
www.arav.org
this is for a reptile vet --

DracosMama

Original Poster
That's so funny I put in my address with a 15 mile radius and the only vet that came up was the reptile vet that I'm going to Dr Julia Baker in Sanford Florida.. I believe he had the respiratory infection when I bought him I just don't understand why we can't get it under control.... And that vet Julia Baker is telling me that sometimes they just come really sick from the pet stores because the pet stores don't use the correct lighting and temps and everything else and they get all their pets from breeders that just breed breed breed and sometimes cross breeding happens where the babies come out sick and don't last.. I will try to post a video I just cleaned his whole tank with the coccidiosis cleaner and gave him a nice bath, I did put him in a tub a plastic tub with the nebulizer with the colonial silver.. I figured I couldn't make it any worse I'm just trying to save this poor guy's life but yes I will post a video give me a moment to try to figure out how to do this

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so it sounds like the vet is a good one and everything she told you about the pet store deal is true-- I have flagged the post so hopefully Tracie gets w/ you tonite-

DracosMama

Original Poster
https://youtu.be/kqjO6BJzevI
I believe I did it correctly, sorry it took me a minute to try to figure it out but I hope this helps you guys understand a little bit, the video is about 9 minutes long.. I hope you guys watch it till the end because right at the end part of it he does do a big goal and then open his mouth really wide and also has the cooking noise that I'm referring to.. he does it a few times throughout the video

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I see what you mean and I also noticed only stick ons for gauges for temps- do you use a digital probe as well --- they are the only ones that can get accurate temps off of hammocks

DracosMama

Original Poster
Yes in the video I pointed out the stick on prob the rr54e that I had right next to the hammock I also have little digital temps that I put one in the Hot side n one of them on the cool side as well....n then for added measures, I have a digital thermometer to also check tax in the video, I did have the door open for a while but Reading 96 that it's hottest point and then down from there

DracosMama

Original Poster
I did have a hundred watt bulb that was giving him a basking temp of 110 to 1:15 and I constantly found him underneath the leaves like trying to hide from the light.. that's the reason I went down to a 75 watt, and it usually does read between 100 and 105.. as I mentioned a few times, I had the door open for a while, it's also a glass enclosure so when I opened the door the heat escapes immediately that's one thing that glass enclosures are not good for is keeping the heat inside.. I honestly don't believe it's anything to do with his husbandry because Tracy help me get everything on point, I did take him to the vet yesterday to get one of his shots, and I asked the vet if these antibiotics don't work and he still has the respiratory infection if we could try a different type of antibiotics or even the nebulizer.. she replied that if he is not got better from the antibiotics that he's on, she said and that means it's not a respiratory infection.. which I think she's highly mistaken, she hasn't really spent much time with him, you know I take him to the vet and not always does he do that gulping thing right there at that moment when I'm trying to show her, I did show her a video once but I don't believe it did no good she's pretty much saying that she does not think it's a respiratory infection that she thinks it's neurological, and she's not willing to give me anything else for the symptoms that he's having.. she said if I want to keep him alive the way he is right now , that's up to me and if he starts to display any other symptoms then maybe she can treat him according to the new symptoms but as of right now she's not willing to give me anything else, she said I would just be wasting my money.. I just can't believe that she's just like oh yeah put them to sleep plain and simple.. it's breaking my heart

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If he was having neurological problems he would be having other signs -- like falling over maybe seizures and other odd physical signs -- I need to flag this post again --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry about Draco's problems. He's been through a lot so right now he needs to be as stress free as possible. I don't think you need to euthanize him, there's still a chance for him. He's not breathing extremely heavy and his body condition still looks good. Don't stroke him too much, many babies don't really like it. Stop the baths completely, stress and too much of a temp. change for him, no benefit at all. See what Tracie says about nebulizer, she knows about that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing tonight?
He is very cute. So you are using a stick on type of thermometer along with a digital probe,
correct to get an accurate basking temperature reading?
Which medication did the vet give for the respiratory infection & are they sure that is what
his ailment was/is?
Is your basking light directly beside your Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb?
If he is still struggling with his breathing, you could consider doing some nebulizer treatments.
That helps to deliver medication into the lungs more effectively.
Be sure to keep him around 75-80 overnight to help boost his immune system right now.
Have you been able to get any food into him?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

DracosMama

Original Poster
The medication is called " Ceftazidime-fortaz-Tazicef" inject 1gm.... And the prescription says one syringe which is two units full and the front leg every 3 days for seven doses.. he had his last dose on Friday and does not seem at all any better! He's also been treated for coccidiosis, that was three oral injectables every other day, and I do not know what the name of that medication was because I threw the prescription bottle out once I was done.. as far as my basking light I do have my UV across the back of the enclosure and the basking light sits on top about 5 to 10 inches away, but he has plenty of space that if he doesn't want to be under the basking light, he can go over to the other side of the hammock where it's just UV, or the other side of the enclosure where it's just UV or no lighting at all.. why do you think there's something I should change tracy? I would love to hear any suggestions because I've given him four nebulizer treatments with the Claudio silver and nothing seems to be helping, now on the right side of his face right in between his nostril and his eyeball it's all swollen like as if his nose is full of stuff.. so I don't know what to do but my vet pretty much gave up on me said that she will not treat him for any symptoms he's having for the same condition.. she said if he developed new symptoms and I can bring him in to be treated but as far as the respiratory thing she doesn't believe it's respiratory she thinks it's neurological and she said she doesn't want me wasting my money that I should think about his quality of life and consider putting him down.. my thing is when I first got him from the pet store he wasn't like this that I know of anyway.. I'm going to be 100% honest, I used to miss him down after he woke up for about an hour and warmed up then I would take my spray bottle and missed him down I believe that combined with the humidity and the temperature when I first got him and was trying to get everything on point maybe caused this infection that he has.. and that's just me being completely honest, I feel horrible that I may be the one that have caused this that's why I'm trying so hard to get him better not only because I feel guilty but I love him I really do! But my point is if it was neurological he would have been doing this stuff straight from the pet store I had them for about a month before any of this stuff started.. yeah when I first got him he wasn't a big eater only ate about two or three crickets a day but I also found out he had the cacosidiosis so that may be why he wasn't a big eater, and then after having him for about a month these symptoms started showing up with him doing the golfing thing all the sudden he started opening his mouth like gasping for air, always having his eyes closed his eyes started getting a little gunky.. if you have any any any advice please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom