New Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossinn

Hello. Thanks to many of you I finally got to a point where I was comfortable purchasing a bearded dragon. He arrived today, appearing healthy and alert. He ate 4-5 dubias and 4-5 superworms (I'm short on dubias until order arrives on Friday).

The only thing that seems off is the tip of his tail. Does this look like tail rot? I was preparing to leave a positive message for the seller, but then realized none of the three photos shared with me prior to the sale included the tip of the tail...Please see below pic.

In case you're wondering, I am not using a red light, even though the picture looks reddish :)

110754-5261807693.jpg

110754-5491799358.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
His tail was probably nipped by a cage mate. The breeder should have told you about this, I would notify them as they need to pay more attention to their babies. Most breeders also charge less for nipped babies.

The tip will die and fall off. It doesn't look infected and it should heal fine. Keep a eye on it, if the wound starts moving up the tail or it begins to look infected, take him to a vet.
You can clean the wound with a little povidone iodine, dilute it in water till it looks like tea and dab it on the wound a couple times a day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
the one from Amazon is good but I think others have used the first one as well --- you can use raw unpasteurized honey on the tail if it starts to look infected -- its a great antibacterial killer
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251259
Manuka honey is really good

Hossinn

Original Poster
Hello. I'm posting a few additional pics. Other than the obvious crusty tip of the tail, does the rest of the tail look okay? I know the typical "tail rot" tends to change color gradually from dark to normal. I can't tell if the main trunk of the tail is dark or not...

110754-1929408606.jpg

110754-5501138237.jpg

110754-9950809460.jpg

Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Looks like the tip.is going to fall off-- when it does you can soak in some betadine solution make it look like a weak tea and then dunk the tip in some honey just don't have crickets left in the tank they will go straight for the tail-- the rest looks like shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom