Poor Eyesight; 1 Year Old Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm concerned with my beardie's eyesight. He'll be aiming at the bugs but they're about a cm away from his tongue. I replaced his bowl with an even shallower tupperware lid to make it easier and he does not eat until I raise it up. He's pretty active but occasionally bumps his nose against walls. However he does turn his head to look at me if I move from across the room. It seems like he has trouble seeing things at ground level/right in front of him. He used to eat/chase bugs as a baby. The past two or so months, he has been preferring to be fed bugs by hand. Could his uvb have damaged his eyes in this time frame? I got Spencer from a breeder as a baby and he's been with me for almost one year now.

-Reptisun 10 t5ho with reflector, ~12 in away from the highest part of his cage

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The behavior you describe is fairly common. Bumping into walls and not wanting to chase food as much as they get older. Part of the food hunting may be lack of hunger. Your UVB is at a good distance, so I wouldn't worry about that. Since he turns his head to track you, then his eyes may be OK. Try offering bugs every other day or maybe even every third day (salad every day) and see if his interest/focus intensifies after not having a regular bug meal.

ChungusaurusRex

Original Poster
Thanks Cooperdragon, that's reassuring! I'll definitely follow your advice about the salad/bug meal frequency. Hopefully he'll be hungry enough to try to eat on his own more since he usually gives up after missing a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom