How much calcium should I give my bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmullins1

Hey all! Unfortunately I think more poor beardie is showing signs of MBD due to inadequate UVB. I feel terrible but I’ve got her the right UVB light now! I feed her calcium plus D3 - 3 times a week, is that to much? She is about a year old and has always had calcium but I don’t want to give her to much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which UVB light are you currently using now?
At her age, 3-4 times per week is fine right now. What symptoms has she shown lately,
can she walk, climb, etc or does she have trouble climbing?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

pmullins1

Original Poster
The UVB i’m using now is Zoo Med T8 ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Reptile Lamp, 24-in. She can walk and climb, but there are times that it seems like she is struggling to climb. The biggest thing that i’ve noticed is her jaw is not aligned, almost like an underbite.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Shes not getting enough UVB -- place the T 8 in the tank approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- it should have NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and it should not be over 6 months old -- and it needs to be changed out to a 10.0 -- 5.0 are more for aquarium use -- the 10.0 is a stronger bulb- she is developing MBD please get your bulb changed out and fixture moved into the tank -- start dusting the insects w/ calcium D3 every time you feed insects but ONLY ONCE per feeding --

pmullins1

Original Poster
Okay thank you. is there such thing has giving to much calcium? i’m scared that i was giving to much. I’m starting to think that i might need to take her to the vet, i think her jaw is getting worse. Is there anyway to get her jaw back to normal or is it going to be like now from the mbd. ughhh i feel so bad, i did so much research into this but obviously not enough:(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The jaw thing will not reverse but it can be stopped from getting worse --- and yes there is a thing of giving too much calcium but w/ you using the 5.0 bulb I dont think that is the case - how much calcium are you giving now and have changed the UVB to a 10.0 bulb? Let me know so I can help you place it in the tank --- this is crucial --- I am going to flag your post to Tracie so she can help you w/ the calcium issue but you must get the UVB fixed

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you able to get a stronger UVB for her yet? If the jaw is getting worse, you need to try
& halt the progression of it immediately.
I would also consider getting some liquid calcium to help with calcium absorption for her,
too. How is her appetite doing?

Tracie

pmullins1

Original Poster
Hi,

yes i got her a new uvb light, the one you suggested. Right now i sprinkle her food with calcium + D3 3 times a week. I do have liquid calcium! But when and how much do i give her?
her appetite is perfect, i haven’t had any issues with that. I am struggling to get her to drink so i give her water in the morning after she’s done eating.
she looks and acts healthy other then her jaw.

Peyton

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Does she eat the veggies? I am not really seeing the off set of the jaw- blaze often sits w/ his mouth partially open but he doesn't have mbd- I need Tracie or ahbd to have a look and advise on the calcium- the T 8 placed directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom