Hard yellow urate??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this her urate?
This is the first time I've ever seen this. So she hasn't been eating much at all the last week. Just had my uvb MVB bulb tested and it's bad, but my new reptisun 10 t5 bulbs arrived this morning so we're all good.
What does this urate mean? Is she dehydrated? She doesn't drink in her baths. She has still been eating her greens, which I make sure are moist. And every other day I try to give water on the tip of her nose.
Could whatever this is have something to do with my she is no longer eating her insects? Not even horned worms and those were like CRACK for her.
I should also mention she is 6 almost 7 months. After reading some posts here I'm starting to think her slowing down on insects now is pretty normal. She is really loving salads though.
109981-2500393670.jpg
109981-623733895.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB has alot to do w/ poops--- how long was the MVB bad? The distance and placement is crucial - where is the T5 now? Top of tank or inside the tank and what distance is it from the basking decor-- is the urate dried out looking? it doesnt in the pic--- if shes eating her salads really good and your rinsing before serving she would not be dehydrated -- but the poops could look funny w/ out the UVB -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which supplementation do you use currently & how often do you use them?
I would start trying to get more oral hydration into him, to help flush out his system at the
moment. If they don't get hydration they can develop harder urates so it may take a week
or two for the urates to start softening up.
That's great she is good about eating her greens, very surprising. At her age, it is normal
for her to start slowing down some on her insects.

Tracie

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
The old UVB bulb was only putting out half the appropriate amount, if I had to guess I'd say a few weeks. Her new t5 bulbs is putting out great amounts. However she still isn't eating many bugs, still eats a salad but not until later in the day. Where as before she ate about two hours after waking up. She is basking but I keep finding her laying on the bottom of the tank on her hot side. Idk if that's normal to do, maybe that's what they do when they don't need to bask anymore?
She gets calcium dusting daily and a multivitamin once a week. However.. I suspect I may have been giving her too much calcium. I read that can cause yellow urate.
My biggest concern now is that she has not pooped since the one in this picture..so 4 days now. She was pooping religiously everyday around 11am. So this is very unusual.

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
So I'm wondering if I should take steps to help her poop. I read feeding olive oil can help, pumpkin.. I've bathed her every day and nothing. Ive already gone to the vet twice now and unless I'm positive it's impaction, I don't really want to go again. Help please ?
Hot side:95degrees
Cool side:75degrees
Basking:105degrees
UVB:T5 bulb that one of the admins here recommended and gave me a link to.
Typical diet: dubias, crickets, horned worms, wax worm treats, dandelion greens, curly mustard greens, bok choy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can give her canned pumpkin baby prunes unsweetened applesauce water it down - keep feeding till she goes poop-- all these are natural laxatives- NO ENEMAS-- make sure the UVB is inside the tank if you have a fine screen mesh 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
Okay great I'll go buy those right now! Thank you!
This is the screen, I don't think I'd consider it fine mesh, it's more of a hard metal almost like chicken wire but a bit smaller. What do you think? UVB is on top of it. The vet recommended 8-12 inches away, I'd say it's about 10inches above where she basks.
109981-5656339163.jpg
109981-7387926699.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the screen is a wide hole type make sure the basking decor is directly underneath approx 8-10 inches --- keep us posted about the pooping --

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
She finally pooped yesterday!! The pumpkin and applesauce worked! She still isn't eating much which is really bothering me. She isn't really acting weird other than I'd say she isn't as active all the time as she used to be, and sometimes I see her laying on the bottom of the tank, which I guess could be just because she doesn't need to bask at that time. Idk she's just changed so much in a couple weeks idk what to make of it.

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
She stopped eating bugs for the most part. Every few days she will eat a couple dubias. She was eating salad, now she won't even touch that either. The only thing she will eat, and I fed a few of these after a week of her not eating much, was wax worms. But obviously I can't just keep feeding her wax worms. I've been bathing her every other day and getting her to drink water droplets off my finger. So I *think* she is hydrated? I have a little syringe should I just make her drink that way? If so, how much???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please NO more wax worms - they are fatty and too many and too often can lead to liver damage -- watch her poops for her being dehydrated if the urate is dry and chalking looking then shes dehydrated - it sounds like your doing a good job of keeping her hydrated -- have the yellow color gone away?

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
Like I said, she didn't eat for a week and I wanted to see if it she would eat anything at all. I know I can't feed them to her as a staple. But I rather give her a couple then let her starve for a week. I ordered more soldier fly larvae, hoping she might think they are wax worms and start eating those.
She has only pooped the one time, the very top was slightly yellow but the rest was white.
I just got her to eat some Repashy Grub Pie, I kind of had to half push it into her mouth to get her to eat it tho.
She went from eating three times a day and being excited about food. To no eating next to nothing and not even looking at food. She kinda just stares at stuff and seems bored or tired idk.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Have you weighed her? I would get her on a kitchen food scale and keep track of her weight- weigh in grams-- what have you tried feeding her since she's been off her food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom