Not eating and very tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate1203

I have about a 2 month old bearded dragon that I’ve had for about a week now and today she has stopped eating and has became very sluggish and tired, besides that she is fine even when basking she still keeps her head up and will every once in a while look around and I don’t know either if this is because she is about to shed, since I’ve had her for this first week she hasn’t shed yet but this is my first time owning a bearded dragon so wanted to know if any of you way know what is happening

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Shedding will cause lack of appetite but also relocation stress --- lets go over the lighting you have for her to make sure everything is up to par --- if anything is off she will quit eating all together and we dont want that
UVB brand and bulb? coil or tube fixture where in the tank is it?
basking temps? what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate

Nate1203

Original Poster
75-Watt Essential Basking Spot Bulb
13-Watt Desert UVB Bulb
Those were the original bulbs but I know they were wrong so I bought a new one today when I first got them I got the set up from PetSmart and when they told us what to but I had a feeling it was off but thought they knew what they were talking about
The new one I have is the zoomed power sun uv at 100w coil that has uvb, uva, light and heat replace those two lamps
I measured the two surfaces of the two basking spots she has I don’t have the bay measuring for the air and if you could remember me one I’d like it but the surface temp is 123 and 82 degrees F also the basking bulb is resting on top of the tank in the middle of the basking spots

The picture shows where her two main basking spots are, also the temps are low on the thermometer because I had just changed it to the better light it usually at 105
110966-7753798309.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the Power Sun is 100 watt correct? the distance should be 8-10 inches from basking decor w/ it sitting on the screen --- if its 123 on top of that platform its too hot-- you need to back the distance off of it or get another piece of basking decor under it and move the platform to the cool side of the tank -- I would get a piece of decor that offers a different gradient heat -- something like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 then raise the lamp up w/ the screen off it should be 12" --

Nate1203

Original Poster
Thanks for the help but we found out that she has a parasite and it’s not looking good and our vet doesn’t open until Monday so gonna do the best we can to keep her alive until then

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She should be able to bounce back from the parasites-- I would start force feeding her some baby food chicken and baby food squash mix w/ some water for consistency and a pinch of calcium powder- how long has she not been eating?

Nate1203

Original Poster
Will do I got her to eat that baby food and now it’s night for us and she’s asleep so will see how she is in the morning

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What parasite does she have?
You can give mint & basil or oregano mixed/blended into a greens slurry or other food, for
help with parasites until you can get some medication.
Be sure to keep her a little warmer overnight also to boost her immune system while she isn't
feeling optimal.
So you are currently using the Powersun mercury vapor bulb that emits both heat & UVB,
correct? How close to him is it? Could she possibly be getting too hot?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Nate1203

Original Poster
the main parasite that I’ve heard from family friends that are vets are that they are pinworms or coccidia and the lamp is 10 inches above her basking spot

Nate1203

Original Poster
SHe’s still good this morning she is still using bathroom and opening her eyes and breathing still the same I’ve been measuring her breaths every 10 seconds and it’s been staying at 5 I’ll try to get her to drink and get that mint and basil in her system so helpfully she can pull through for the next 24 hours and at 7 tomorrow I can get into the vet for the medication so we’ll see

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If your basking spot is over 110 its too hot -- you need to get the temp w/ a digital probe thermometer that probe needs to sit where she would sit for basking - if its over a 110 she wont bask there -- I posted distances for you in my earlier post -- please get those temps adjusted accordingly - its imperative for her health -- please get rid of the 13 watt coil-- it is a terrible UVB and is going to cause issues here - your better off at this point w/ just the MVB --- but you will want to get a long tube fixture here as well - if your having to adjust distances for that MVB it will sometimes not give off the required UVB's amounts the dragon is going to need --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom