Help please!! 10 month old beardie partial blockage

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As another question, are all of those coil bulbs bad? I thought Zilla and Repti sun were good brands.. I also have a U shaped 13 watt 10.0 repti sun as a secondary bulb (brand new haven't used it) but now I'm scared that this might be bad for him. I wouldn't solely use them as a UV source but thought I'd pop them in as he doesn't hang out under his actual UV tube.
Yes those bulbs are the worst-- please do not use that bulb the 13 watt-- we have had soooo many on here that have been using those bulbs and they have caused so many sick beardies-- and worse--- stay w/ your T 5 your using
This is without a doubt, one of the most trusted if not THEE most trusted UVB bulb on the market right now for bearded dragons. This fluorescent light will provide an adequate amount of UVB for most enclosures and will last anywhere from 6 to 12 months on average.
the Zilla T 8 is not a bad bulb but the Reptisun bulb is better for the T 8 -- the T 5 your using is considered one of the best on the market at this time

Twixiesmom

Original Poster
I will definitely get rid of them !! That's terrible though, why do they keep making them if they're so terrible or not improving them at least? The average consumer such as myself would not know unless we consult groups such as this one.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The people are out for the money only and do not care about the health of the dragon- it is up to the person to do the research on the bulbs and most people do not -- they usually buy what the pet store people tell them to not knowing those people have not a clue as to whats harmful to the dragon etc.. those bulbs have CFL's and I am not sure what those are just that they are harmful to the dragons-

Twixiesmom

Original Poster
CFL's stands for compact fluorescent light bulbs, its the type of bulb, not the content. They contain some mercury, generate little heat and can generate UVC as well as abnormally short-wave versions of UVB and UVA that are harmful for reptiles. UVC is harmful, it is short-wavelength radiation and in nature is blocked almost entirely by the ozone layer and oxygen in the atmosphere.
But if the bulb produces it, then that's what is making the reptiles sick.

Well, by having this discussion I can easily say that I have learned something. Thanks again for your help!

SPandS

Juvie Member
A lot of people on here call CFLs coil bulbs which I've noticed is sometimes confusing to some because they tend to think only the bulbs shaped like a coil are bad but the other shaped ones like the reptisun are ok. That's not always the case though. From what I've read not all CFLs are bad. Some are and can cause eye issues but some are just too weak like the 13w reptisun. The 26w is ok. Another issue is they just don't give a wide enough area and that is why the linear bulbs are best.

Since you have a very good uvb you don't really need another bulb and your beardie should go under it when it feels it needs it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom