Brumating for a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my beardie started brumating back in November, and he's still brumating.
In November, he didn't have a hide because he had never used one before, but he started sleeping in corners. After a week or so of this, I got him a cave and he started sleeping in it right away. Eventually we settled into a routine: I woke him up once a week to check on him, give him a bath, etc, and he slept the rest of the time.
However, it's now April. This feels like a really long time for him to be brumating. I extended his light time from 12 hours to 13 hours. I have been bringing him outside when it's warm enough. I've been giving him bugs. But he just keeps going back to sleep! Even if I wake him up, he goes back into his cave within the next couple of days and he will stay there for days if I let him.
Is it unhealthy for him to still be brumating? Should I wake him up every day or should I let him sleep? And is he actually still brumating or is he just lazy (I mean, I wouldn't put it past him)?
Thank you so much!
Edit: He has been eating fine, running around, acting normally, etc. He just wants to be in his cave all the time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
From Nov till now is too long-- lets go over the lighting your using-- UVB brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? inside or top of screen? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please--- has he been eating at all? Hydration? Are you giving him water? Did you get a weight on him back in Nov? have you been weighing him at all to see if hes losing weight?

LLazyLizard

Original Poster
He has a 100 watt Zilla heat lamp and I believe his UVB bulb is a ZooMed one (I don't have the box anymore). I just replaced his UVB bulb to make sure it was still giving him the vitamins and such. I just went and got a thermometer and measured the temp in his basking spot. It's about 96 degrees Fahrenheit.
Silly past me forgot to mention it in the original post, but he has been eating normally, he runs around when I bring him out, he's not showing any signs of being lethargic other than the fact all he wants to do is hang out in his cave.
I have not been weighing him, but I will start now for any future reference.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So hes eating and not basking at all? The UVB is the T 5 or T 8 and where is it? The difference between the two bulbs is different and it is crucial for correct UVB

LLazyLizard

Original Poster
He basks when he's out, but he just goes back into his cave within a few days and stays there. He has a Reptisun 5.0 UVB. Is that the number you're looking for?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please swap out the 5.0 to a 10.0 - if the UVB is on top of the screen and the screen is a fine mesh hes getting very little UVB- the 5.0 or T 8 its equivalent to is not strong enough to go thru the screen and its blocking 30% of the UVB rays --- please get it changed out get it inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches --- if you keep the 5.0 the distance would need to be 6-8 inches directly about the basking decor --- the UVB needs to be directly above his basking decor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom