Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

So, my beardie just turned 19 years old this week. Her behaviour has changed a lot in her old age over the last 5 years (she can move around fine, but she needs to be hand fed daily), but in the last few days she looks very different. Suddenly she seems veeery skinny; she is bright yellow and lethargic. This morning she took some water, but has not been interested in food in a few days now. When I pick her up she isn't limp, but it looks like it's effort to hold her head up.
I'm not planning on taking her to a vet for interventions, and I'm not confident that any vets around here are experienced in euthanizing herps humanely. Her quality of life the last few years hasn't been the greatest, and I feel it would be cruel to take her away from her home if this is the end.

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences of having their animals pass naturally at home. I had one dragon pass away years ago, but he was a young rescue who was severely neglected and it was amazing he lived as long as he did. The day that he passed he turned dark, then his beard turned black and very quickly he was gone. I'm a bit confused that my 19yo is so bright yellow right now. She is usually only this bright when she's excited, right before she poops, and once right after she came out of surgery years ago and was pretty sedated. Is that normal? Is there anything I could be doing for her to keep her comfy? I'm offering her water still (little drops), but now she is refusing. I moved her off her basking spot to a place right beside it so she doesn't get too warm. Her head and upper body are propped up with some folded cloths.

I'm so sad right now. She has been such a great companion for most of my life. She has been with me during all the huge milestones in my life, and it feels like I've been punched in the gut.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that's the oldest I've ever heard of , I can imagine how special Oatmeal is to you ! Sometimes bearides will turn bright due to excitement as you mentioned but the same thing can happen during stress or any time their senses are heightened. I agree 100 % with just keeping her at home to pass naturally, it's really the most humane + comfortable way for such an old creature. Best wishes to you and your very special dragon during this difficult time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, that is an amazing run. She is lucky to have such a good long life with you. I would do what you can to make her as comfortable as possible. Offer her favorite treats and get some adventures in if you can.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That truly is amazing, bless her. It truly is heart breaking when they decline. She would be
much better off being with you than you taking her into the vets. She would be much
happier & can pass with you.
What a lucky pair you two are, that is a dream to have shared her life together. She is most
likely very happy, with her bright colors. Spend time with her, hold her & make her comfortable
right now.
If you have any pictures of Oatmeal feel free to post them so we can all see her! Maybe you
could take a little road trip?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We are all wondering how your girl is doing, any changes?
Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom