Malnourished Beardie, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddyboy12300

Hi, sorry I am new here so hopefully this is the right board for my query.

I recently have taken ownership of my sister’s bearded dragon. He is around 12 years old (we aren’t sure) and is quite underweight from what I have seen online (he is 145g). I have been giving him some slurry via syringe, misting him with water several times a day, and leaving his basking lamp/UV light on for 14 hours a day. He is quite lethargic and really only opens his eyes when I’m feeding him/make noise. I feed him 2x daily, about a table spoon of slurry each time or until he gets sick of me.

I am very new to bearded dragon care, Buddy was my sister’s pet as I have mentioned, but I could not stand to see him deteriorate any further. If I am doing something wrong or can improve somehow please let me know.

I have spoken to a vet, but they have told me they would either put him down or keep him in for several weeks to monitor/ rehab him (which would cost £500-£1000) so this is what I am trying to do at home for now. He is a very sweet little guy and I just want to do the best for him so please give me any advice.

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UVB and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank-- please tell me what the basking temps are? NO stick ons and the UVB NO coils please --- long tube fixture w/ a reflector-- the dragon is definitely underweight at 145 grams --- what are you feeding for insects- he needs dubia roaches or crickets silk worms or BSFL -- your slurries are made up of what? Once we get the lighting straightened out we can move on w/ his diet -- we need to enlist some help here

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey there, it sounds like you're doing all that can be done in his condition . At 12 years of age he is only going to [ possibly ] become stable but all he needs is rest and whatever amount of food he'll take. Don't let the vet talk you in to keeping him, many older dragons go to the vet where they are in a new stressful environment and end up dying , sometimes from over medicating . You're doing a good job, keep it up + take it day to day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom