Beardie on antibiotics still not improving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am looking for some help. My one year old beardie recently had to be taken to the vet as he was acting lethargic, mouth breathing, and had a lesion on his tongue. He has been on an antibiotic for about a week now. He gets injections every 2 days and pain meds every 2 days. He eats his veggies, but he refuses all of his normal protein (worms). I am starting to question the antibiotic, and I know they can be hard on his system. What are the dangers of stopping the antibiotic? The vet said she was unable to determine if he had an infection or not but was putting him on the antibiotic as a preventative in case of an infection. I’m so worried about him. Any judgment free help would be appreciated?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did they do blood work to determine infection? If so please post the results --- please post a pic of the dragon -- his tongue if you can-- I would not give a antibiotic just to give one w/ out determining if they need it - what antibiotic did they give? We need Tracie Drache613 to advise here shes the vet tech mod --- what UVB are you using for him? coil or a tube and where in the tank is it? basking temps are what? and how are you taking them NO stick ons please

laurahill749

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2y77zo0z said:
Did they do blood work to determine infection? If so please post the results --- please post a pic of the dragon -- his tongue if you can-- I would not give a antibiotic just to give one w/ out determining if they need it - what antibiotic did they give? We need Tracie Drache613 to advise here shes the vet tech mod --- what UVB are you using for him? coil or a tube and where in the tank is it? basking temps are what? and how are you taking them NO stick ons please
She did not do any blood work. I don't have a picture of his tongue, the vet had one but she couldn't send it to me. Part of it is black and part of it is white, it is on the top of his tongue. I would try to take a picture of it, but I really don't want to disturb him he seems so off. She gave an antibiotic because she said it will be used as a preventative. I use the Reptisun T8 tube, and it sits directly on top of his tank. Basking temps are around 90- I use the highest wattage bulb and can't seem to ever get it much higher no matter how many bulbs I use. I even tried a halogen at one point. I take the temps with a probe thermometer. The medicine is called Ceftazidime, and it is kept frozen. She gave me 21 syringes with 0.1mL in each.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok it would be best if you can get a pic of his tongue tomorrow -- the basking temps need to be raised - either raise the decor piece or get another dome w/ a 50 watt place next to the bulb you have now by the way what wattage are you using or you can cover part of the top w/ a piece of wood to keep the heat in -- the T 8 should be in the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- this is crucial -- I am thinking this could be the cause for the lesion UVB and basking temps are imperative for the overall health of the dragon -- is he eating? Make sure you keep track of the basking temps if you add a bulb use a piece of wood or raise the basking decor piece-- 90 is too low for basking temps for him you want 95-100 -- I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet tech mod -- she can help w/ the medicine and advise what to do

laurahill749

Original Poster
KarrieRee":27o1lhau said:
Ok it would be best if you can get a pic of his tongue tomorrow -- the basking temps need to be raised - either raise the decor piece or get another dome w/ a 50 watt place next to the bulb you have now by the way what wattage are you using or you can cover part of the top w/ a piece of wood to keep the heat in -- the T 8 should be in the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- this is crucial -- I am thinking this could be the cause for the lesion UVB and basking temps are imperative for the overall health of the dragon -- is he eating? Make sure you keep track of the basking temps if you add a bulb use a piece of wood or raise the basking decor piece-- 90 is too low for basking temps for him you want 95-100 -- I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet tech mod -- she can help w/ the medicine and advise what to do
Thank you so much! He is eating his veggies and not his protein. I thought it was too low too, vet told me otherwise. Kind of concerned about the advice I received there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would look at having another opinion on your dragon--- here is a website for a reptile vet in your area
www.arav.org
Lets have Tracie way in on this see what she thinks -- she is on late at nite

laurahill749

Original Poster
KarrieRee":qnkn50hx said:
I would look at having another opinion on your dragon--- here is a website for a reptile vet in your area
http://www.arav.org
Lets have Tracie way in on this see what she thinks -- she is on late at nite
I am going to take him into a new vet tomorrow who has great reviews. Thank you for being so responsive with me, I really appreciate it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon is having trouble!
Definitely post a picture of the tongue problem for us. Could an insect have bitten him possibly?
Ceftz is a broad spectrum & commonly used. As most antibiotics, they can be hard on their system.
You can give a probiotic to help along with extra oral fluids to help his kidneys.
Also, if you aren't already keeping him warmer overnight, around 80, try to do so for help with his
immune system. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom