Do Beardies Fluff Their Beard To Cool Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

I got this great leash off Etsy and Drogon loves it! We went outside today and he basked for about 40 minutes and had access to shade under the umbrella. When he started open mouth basking, I took him inside and let him chill on the couch. Once his leash was off, he darted to one side of the couch and yawned, then started flapping his beard and made a puffing noise.

Was he just trying to cool down?? He's acting normal now (meaning running around like a lunatic!)

Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen it as a cooling mechanism (can't say it isn't though). They tend to do that if they are excited or if their hormones are kicked up. Being outdoors may have just been a lot of input all at once and he was decompressing a bit.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Selkie1993":1xuwxz91 said:
Hi Everyone!

I got this great leash off Etsy and Drogon loves it! We went outside today and he basked for about 40 minutes and had access to shade under the umbrella. When he started open mouth basking, I took him inside and let him chill on the couch. Once his leash was off, he darted to one side of the couch and yawned, then started flapping his beard and made a puffing noise.

Was he just trying to cool down?? He's acting normal now (meaning running around like a lunatic!)

Selkie
Yes.

I've seen this.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
CooperDragon":2qbtnmbi said:
I haven't seen it as a cooling mechanism (can't say it isn't though). They tend to do that if they are excited or if their hormones are kicked up. Being outdoors may have just been a lot of input all at once and he was decompressing a bit.

Yeah he's been super excited when he's outside plus hormone season xD thanks for confirming !

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
kingofnobbys":cw287orw said:
Selkie1993":cw287orw said:
Hi Everyone!

Selkie
Yes.

I've seen this.

Thanks for confirming! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom