Is My Bearded Dragon Dehydrated ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaBean

Hello, I just bought a new beardie last weekend, since I got him/her (I say him out of habit) he has only been eating about 10 small crickets a day when according to my research they are supposed to eat a lot more than that, and he looks pretty skinny to me. He also only drinks water unless I drop some on his nose,( or licking it off of my finger), but spends all day basking. Overall he is very alert and friendly. I was just wondering what you guys think, and if you have any tips I’d love to hear them.

110842-1179125021.jpg
110842-9038778832.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His coloring is beautiful --- if hes drinking off his nose or licking that is good -- let him do that till he stops or loses interest -- you can get him hydration by rinsing his salads before serving also make sure your gut loading those staple feeders w/ good food and water pellets/ crystals carrots or squash --- ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Hes going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off BUT if he stops eating all together that is not good --- can you please tell me the lighting in the tank -- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube? where in the tank is it and what are your basking temps? NO stick ons please they are inaccurate-
the basking temps and UVB are the MOST IMPORTANT thing in that tank they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon

BubbaBean

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1h6o651q said:
His coloring is beautiful --- if hes drinking off his nose or licking that is good -- let him do that till he stops or loses interest -- you can get him hydration by rinsing his salads before serving also make sure your gut loading those staple feeders w/ good food and water pellets/ crystals carrots or squash --- ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Hes going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off BUT if he stops eating all together that is not good --- can you please tell me the lighting in the tank -- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube? where in the tank is it and what are your basking temps? NO stick ons please they are inaccurate-
the basking temps and UVB are the MOST IMPORTANT thing in that tank they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon

I have the zoo med stick on meters, that read a little over 90degrees on His basking Side... what would give me a more accurate reading?

As for bulbs, I have a 10 UVB reptisun (on the left side), The jewel lamp has a 75 W nighttime bulb and a 75 W basking spot bulb. I originally had just the 100 W bulb, but my tank wasn’t getting to 90 with the single bulb so I added the dual lamp.( lathe 75 and 100 W bulbs are from zoo med)
110842-7014395692.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the blue bulb - colored bulbs are harmful to the dragons eyes the have a 3rd eye and the color distorts their vision- the coil please get rid of that too it is not adequate and will cause all kinds of health issues- you need this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html these are the most accurate-- please get rid of the sand it is unsanitary and harbors bacteria please get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- cut to size of the tank insects can't get underneath- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution- you can get it at your local home improvement store- please get the thermometer and UVB ASAP-- those basking temps and UVB are the most important things in the tank

BubbaBean

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gloyfes said:
Please get rid of the blue bulb - colored bulbs are harmful to the dragons eyes the have a 3rd eye and the color distorts their vision- the coil please get rid of that too it is not adequate and will cause all kinds of health issues- you need this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html these are the most accurate-- please get rid of the sand it is unsanitary and harbors bacteria please get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- cut to size of the tank insects can't get underneath- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution- you can get it at your local home improvement store- please get the thermometer and UVB ASAP-- those basking temps and UVB are the most important things in the tank

Yes, I was thinking about replacing the sand, when I bought the tank that’s what it came with. Also it’s not a blue bulb, the makes it look more blue. ( I’ll attach a picture of the bulb box)

110842-4230143670.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That looks like a coil box if it says 13 watt on it get rid of it ASAP and please get what I posted in my earlier post -- those coils are known to cause all kinds of health issues -- please replace ASAP-- if you need more help please ask when you get the new UVB post back here and I will help you get it placed in the tank

BubbaBean

Original Poster
KarrieRee":229nz6pi said:
That looks like a coil box if it says 13 watt on it get rid of it ASAP and please get what I posted in my earlier post -- those coils are known to cause all kinds of health issues -- please replace ASAP-- if you need more help please ask when you get the new UVB post back here and I will help you get it placed in the tank

It’s a 120V/26W/E-26 Base.
And last light I did replace the sand with eco carpet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the 26 watt is ok -- not a fan of coils- it does need to be unobstructed meaning NO screen between the basking decor piece approx 6-8 inches from it and in a dome w/ a reflector -- here is some info on the 26 watt
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom