New Beardie Owner Looking for Health Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottK89

Hi everyone. I have just taken ownership of a bearded dragon from someone who wasnt really looking after him to the best of their abilities.
I have never owned a Beardie before but am absolutely commited to giving this guy the best life possible.

Anyway he doesnt seem as alert as i usually see videos of them online.

He already has a full setup with correct lighting and lamps with correct temperatures however there are a few things I am concerened about . Firstly he has only pooed once in nearly 2 weeks, is only eating very small amounts of mealworms and sometimes eats nothing. His femoral glands are blocked and wont budge even after a generous warm bath over a few days. He seems to just lie down all day and apart from the odd movement he doesn't do much.

I am going to take him to the vets but just wanted some general advice from knowledgeable owners . I have read online and there are lots of contradicting information such as people saying I should be coxing out the hard secretion from his pores? Is this correct as i dont want to hurt the little guy.

Not sure what his diet was before i owned him but I'm feeding him various food now such as , kale, metalwork, cockroaches etc.

Could anyone give me some advice please prior to me visiting a get to get him checked over.

Thanks all

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes first lets go over the basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- UVB are you using a coil or a tube? If its a coil please get rid of it and get the tube- I can recommend a brand and bulb --- what size tank is he in? Meal worms are not a good staple feeder- he needs salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder-- if his femoral pores are blocked soak him several times / week in a betadine solution making the solution weak looking like tea-- work on loosening the pores you want them soft and take a baby toothbrush and gently brush them -- if they get real soft you can gently squeeze them out - my oldest one had them sticking out they looked like candlesticks I got them softened up and gently squeezed them out -- if you can get some coarse decor so they rub up against that it will keep them open -- he should have a staple feeder like dubia roaches crickets silk worms or BSFL they are really small - salads every day - worms like meal super butter and horn worms are all treat worms wax worms are very fatty and should be fed very sparingly -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom