New Beardie Owner Looking for Health Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottK89

Hi everyone. I have just taken ownership of a bearded dragon from someone who wasnt really looking after him to the best of their abilities.
I have never owned a Beardie before but am absolutely commited to giving this guy the best life possible.

Anyway he doesnt seem as alert as i usually see videos of them online.

He already has a full setup with correct lighting and lamps with correct temperatures however there are a few things I am concerened about . Firstly he has only pooed once in nearly 2 weeks, is only eating very small amounts of mealworms and sometimes eats nothing. His femoral glands are blocked and wont budge even after a generous warm bath over a few days. He seems to just lie down all day and apart from the odd movement he doesn't do much.

I am going to take him to the vets but just wanted some general advice from knowledgeable owners . I have read online and there are lots of contradicting information such as people saying I should be coxing out the hard secretion from his pores? Is this correct as i dont want to hurt the little guy.

Not sure what his diet was before i owned him but I'm feeding him various food now such as , kale, metalwork, cockroaches etc.

Could anyone give me some advice please prior to me visiting a get to get him checked over.

Thanks all

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes first lets go over the basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- UVB are you using a coil or a tube? If its a coil please get rid of it and get the tube- I can recommend a brand and bulb --- what size tank is he in? Meal worms are not a good staple feeder- he needs salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder-- if his femoral pores are blocked soak him several times / week in a betadine solution making the solution weak looking like tea-- work on loosening the pores you want them soft and take a baby toothbrush and gently brush them -- if they get real soft you can gently squeeze them out - my oldest one had them sticking out they looked like candlesticks I got them softened up and gently squeezed them out -- if you can get some coarse decor so they rub up against that it will keep them open -- he should have a staple feeder like dubia roaches crickets silk worms or BSFL they are really small - salads every day - worms like meal super butter and horn worms are all treat worms wax worms are very fatty and should be fed very sparingly -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom