Raw honey for eye infections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, ever since I got my beardie she’s had eye infection issues, at the moment I can’t take her to the vet, none are open due to covid because cases in my city are extremely high and we don’t have an animal hospital in my city. I adopted my beardie as a rescue, she was abandoned in someone’s apartment as a full grown adult, and I noticed she’d have issues where her eyes would seal shut and she couldn’t open them, with kind of a goo sorta pale clear ish around them, really gross. I’ve been wiping them clean everyday with warm water. I read online somewhere that raw organic honey, like not processed through a factory with extra sugars is safe to dilute and put a few drops in her eye to beat the infection, due to the honeys antibacterial properties. I was wondering if it would be safe to do for the moment to help her.

Fluflepuff

Original Poster
Claudiusx":2asz1bub said:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251259&p=1903469#p1903469
It can definitely be used :)

-Brandon

Ah thank you! I tried it out, she didn’t seem to like it but I’ll try a couple drops in the morning and before she goes to bed and see how it works out! I appreciate the link, didnt know honey was a bit of a miracle worker!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Honey can sting a little bit, especially when put into the eyes. I'd just make sure it's diluted decently and see how things go from there.

What is her lighting setup like right now? Lights can play a role in eye issues. Same thing with loose particulates in the tank such as dust/sand/woodchips.

-Brandon

Fluflepuff

Original Poster
Claudiusx":2m2mz7s0 said:
Honey can sting a little bit, especially when put into the eyes. I'd just make sure it's diluted decently and see how things go from there.

What is her lighting setup like right now? Lights can play a role in eye issues. Same thing with loose particulates in the tank such as dust/sand/woodchips.

-Brandon

No loose substrates, she has one of those mat type things, lots of different textured sticks and a large rock under her basking lamps, she has two uvb coil bulbs atm but I heard they’re bad so I’m looking into getting her those long cylinder ones, not quite sure what they’re called but they have the case and bulbs at my local pet store. She has two lamps for her hot side as one doesn’t heat it up enough.
108368-5359108457.jpg

Image there is her tank setup atm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom