Is my beardie too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
I posted a new intro earlier this week. Since then our new kid (Atlas) has been found lounging in his water bowl a couple of days?? Is he thirsty or hot?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He could be hot. Sometimes they like sitting in the water. It can be dangerous if the water is deep or if they are left there for long periods (especially overnight). What are the surface temperature readings around your enclosure?

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't think it's too hot on the surface but I will have my husband check tomorrow when Atlas wakes up and his lighting is back on for the day.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well the hottest spot on the surface is 82. Today though after his lighting came on...he went into his cubby cave??? Except to eat a bit. Is it a concern, because he normally wants to come out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
82 is definitely not too hot. Is that basking spot temp or the temp on the cool end near the water dish? It's possible he is going through a sleepy phase which happens now and then. I would check his weight and monitor that though. If it is dropping then there could be an underlying issue. If it remains stable then he is likely OK since they adjust their metabolism to compensate during slowdowns.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK then I advise trying to either get the basking light closer (no closer than about 12'' for safety and beam width) or try using a higher wattage bulb. You want to shoot for around 100-105 on the basking surface with areas around that in the 90s. Then a gradient down to 75-80 or so on the cool side of the enclosure. Providing that heat gradient will give options but provide temps high enough to allow for proper digestion and overall health. It may be the cool temps causing the slowdown so I'd start there and see how it goes once the temps are within a warmer range for a bit.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Chart you'll find adapted for CBD used by / cited by Dr.Brown here
screenshot-117.png

is this from zoologists who observed a range of wild dragons' thermal behaviours
temperature-response-of-p.png

as good a guide as you'll find anywhere.

Preferred operating body temperature for CBDs is 36 degC.
I wouldn't let a CBD be exposed for more than an hour to temperatures exceeding 42 degC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom