Last call for help on diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollie has had diarrhea for almost 6 months now, and he will be a year old in a couple of weeks. His basking site is 100 degrees with a 10.0 reptisun tube UVB above it. His poops smell terrible, are usually green in color and often have large chunks of undigested roaches in them. He has been to two vets and had multiple fecals done, all clean. Recently he had some blood work done and it was all normal as well. He eats roaches, collard greens, zucchini, squash, radishes, and green bell peppers. I have cut each of these things out of his diet one at a time to check for allergies. Lately he has been eating less and refusing to bask. I'm not sure what else I can do to help him but I am getting worried.

kjworley19

Original Poster
He doesn’t drink water so I rinse all his veggies thoroughly to make sure he is hydrated and the uvb is a tube directly above his basking area

javgragg

My beardie, Big Boy, doesn't drink either so i use a dosing dropper and drop water on the tip of his nose to encourage drinking the drops. Is the T8 inside or outside of the enclosure? Mesh will filter out UVB so you might need to raise the basking area. Also is the tube 'open', no plastic covering?
i also have a T8 and i have measured it 6" above BB's back. I hang it with S hooks and chains from the lid (mesh with metal bars). let us know your set up for UVB please. thx!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
And no plastic cover over the bulb and in the tank? The screen will block 30% of the UVB rays not to mention the cover- if this is all correct then I would suggest a vet visit- also the bulb should not be 6 months or older-

kjworley19

Original Poster
The bulb doesn't have a plastic cover but it is behind mesh, so It's only about 5" above his basking area. He just went to the vet last week and they still had no clue as to what could be wrong with him other than that he might be eating too many roaches, so I switched to only feeding roaches every other day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
With it sitting on top of the screen he's not getting enough UVB which would cause the issue w/ the pooping also he's not able to absorb/ synethsize his calcium intake- please move it into the tank

javgragg

This is probably a stupid question but does your vet specialize in reptiles? Definitely call them back and let them know this is still happening. UVB is essential to beardies and plays a roll in almost every illness or deficiency so it's vital they get proper uvb exposure.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can provide the vet with a very fresh sample (ideally pooping at the vets office, but within a few hours at most) then they may be able to take a look at it under a microscope to detect flagellates which may not be as easily detected with a traditional float test. I'm not saying that's the issue, just something worth a shot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
I agree, a fecal smear might detect other parasites than a fecal float would.
You could start giving a probiotic too if you have any around to help with better digestion.
Are you keeping him a little warmer overnight to help boost his immune system?

Tracie

kjworley19

Original Poster
Yes he has a ceramic heat emitter for nighttime and I do have a probiotic so I’ll go ahead and start giving him that. We have another vet appointment on Tuesday so maybe the vet will have some new insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom